Bottoms Up, America!

Bottoms Up, America!

What my drinking game taught me about our candidates.

12
Bottoms Up, America!
WBUR

The first Presidential Debate...we all watched it. We all laughed. The future of our country is hilarious — we get it. Amid all of our denial, many of us used the debate as an opportunity to play drinking games. I created my own game that I played with my brother and his roommates.

I honestly didn't know what to expect from my game. I had never made one before and had stopped paying attention to presidential campaign news since this semester began. My drinking criteria could have been seriously outdated. I found that to be only partially true.

Within the first 15 minutes I knew my Hillary drinking requirements were useless. Nothing she said lined up with anything I had written down. She didn't mention the "woman card," she didn't say "America is already great," no one asked her about Benghazi or even brought up her health. I couldn't believe it. They talked briefly of her emails, and even that didn't meet my requirements because she didn't evade the question. Basically, half my game was irrelevant.

Trump, on the other hand, pretty much hit every point and multiple times at that. He used his number one go-to's — "unbelievable," "tremendous" and "believe me." At one point, we all decided to drink every time he interrupted Hillary. The amount of times he did that was unbelievable.

In the moment, I was worried that my game sucked. It wasn't until the next day that I really started to think about what that meant.

Everyone knows that Hillary prepared and Trump didn't. She had no trouble answering questions, even with Trump's constant interactions. She developed new strategies, she adapted to a new opponent, she wasn't predictable — she planned accordingly.

Trump hasn't changed strategies since day one. He knows he has no chance of competing against Hillary face-to-face. Why else would he interrupt her constantly? He did whatever he could to minimize the amount of time she had to speak. The less speaking time she had, the less he had to compete with.

Maybe Lester Holt was biased toward Hillary and didn't ask her the hard questions. That would be in poor taste as a journalist for sure, but any other presidential candidate would have fought against that by overcoming it. Instead, when Trump feels threatened, he gives up.

Trump could have over prepared for this debate and shocked us all. He could have spent time learning what he doesn't know. He knew this debate was coming for a long time, and he spent that time making excuses rather than preparing.

Honestly, Hillary has been using the same lines since the beginning. That's why I assumed my drinking criteria would work for her, but she put the effort in to change her tactics in the face of a new opponent.

Hillary may not be the most likable person, but she has prepared her whole life for this moment. She puts in the effort to do her best and has faced all odds that have pushed against her for her entire career. That's what I want in a president.