What Music Does For The Soul

What Music Does For The Soul

It’s the real chicken soup for your soul

1258
What Music Does For The Soul

Being a music major and someone who can’t go a day without hearing it, I am a little bias on this subject. Yet in all honesty, music is the best thing for a person. Can you honestly imagine a life without music? Even if you aren’t as passionate as most, you hear music every day. You may not be playing it through your speakers, but somehow you hear it. Music is a very powerful force. It can make you cry, turn a bad day better, or help you express any emotion or situation. As someone once said to me, “You may not have the right words to say, but a song can lay it out for you”. You can tell someone you love them with a song or you could tell them just how much you hate them. Most words that we can’t say someone else has written in a song.

As I write this, I am sitting on a train home listening to one of my favorite love songs. The song is called “Goodnight Moon” by Go Radio. I have a lot of emotions attached to this song, as I sit here I feel inspired and almost on the verge of tears. You may say, “Erin, you are a weirdo! Why would a song make you cry?”. The answer is because there is such a strong emotion attached to this song that it’s almost overwhelming. Music can do that to you, it can make you feel such a strong emotion or make you long to feel something. There are songs that have amazing memories attached that I can’t help but smile when I hear them. I took a trip to Kentucky every summer for 3 years and those were some of the best summers. We would bring CDs in the vans and those songs we played still come on occasionally. When I hear them I smile or cry, not because they make me sad, but because I miss those summers. One summer I remember thinking I was falling in love and Justin Bieber was playing as I drove home from an amazing date. Now when I heard those songs I remember smiling so hard my cheeks hurt and the swelling I felt in my chest. When my best friend decided, she didn’t want us to be friends I was distraught. Yet, I remember tears streaming down my face as I drove home, but my favorite band was playing so I couldn’t help singing along and feeling just a bit better.

Music has gotten me through lots of heartbreaks and depressive episodes. Sometimes you just need a good cry and a break-up song can do that for you. Sometimes you need something that can make you happy and music can do that. We all have our pump-up, break up, dance, and sad playlists. You form an attachment to music that you may not even realize is happening. There is a reason you get excited when that song you love to dance to come on, or you cry when the song that used to be “our” song plays. Music means more to you than you’ll ever realize. I’ve started to realize the effect it has on my life, if I didn’t I’d probably be just a regular business major.

Music does the soul some good. It’s a cure for sadness and a boost for happiness. No matter what there is a song there to match the mood. Everything is better when a song is involved. Do you thing a rom-com montage would be as good without a sappy love song? Or a first dance as loving and adorable without a song that represents the couple? No matter what there is a song in my head or playing through the speakers. We are all music lovers, whether we realize it or not. Feed your soul and listen to music that makes you feel good. Life is better with a song.