What I've Learned from Befriending Strangers

Summer is a time for adventure, no matter if it is with trips or with new people.

119

This summer I have been in a situation that I imagined would be difficult: summer school and an internship, all alone without my friends. What I didn't realize was that the strangers I saw in class, around campus, and through other acquaintances would end up being people I would make memories with. Here are just a few things I have learned from the strangers I can now call my friends.

1. You don't have to know each other for a lifetime to call them friends. Friendships are just relationships that break all the "rules." You can go from serious arguments about politics to dumb jokes about butts in less than a minute. You keep tabs for each other on meals and don't care about what they think about you wearing the same shirt three days in a row.

2. One night can take you from strangers to best friends. It is amazing how many people there are that may share the same obsession you have with movies, or crafts, or working out. It is fun to crack into someone else's interests that match up with yours. If you both love Chipotle, then make a point to go eat there. If you share something in common, you might have a plethora of more likes and dislikes in common.

3. Breaking the ice isn't as hard as you may think. People nowadays are so concerned with how the world sees them that it is hard to talk to others. As a professional talker, it is amazing how one simple question can start off a huge conversation. Breaking the ice isn't as scary as most think.

4. Friendships should flow naturally. Sometimes we don't realize that friendships shouldn't require a ton of work. Once you make a friend that is easy to talk to and not involved in crazy drama, you realize who is a true friend and who may not be.

5. Friend crushes are real, and you should embrace them. Ever had a feeling that you need and want to be friends with someone? That is called a friend crush. If you ever experience this, you need to go for it. Reach out to the person, become their friend, and really get to know them. Your gut usually can tell when you will really hit it off with someone and when you won't.