What It's Like To Be Someone's Person

What It's Like To Be Someone's Person

Being someone's person is amazing; this is what it's like.

603
What It's Like To Be Someone's Person
quotesgram.com

If you’re anything like me, it seems like you are the only person on the planet to have never seen "Grey’s Anatomy." Don’t get me wrong; I love to binge-watch Netflix, but "Grey’s Anatomy" is way too much gore than I’m used to. If you have watched it though, you know exactly what it means when someone says, “She’s my person." For those of you who don’t know what that means, that person is the person they’d call if they were to kill someone and needed help moving the body. My best friends have watched all of "Grey’s," and they always tell me that I’m their person. This is what it’s like to be someone’s person.

The first time I heard that I was someone’s person was when my then roommate was watching "Grey’s," paused it, came in my room and told me, “You are my person." At first, I asked, "What in the world are you talking about?" She then explained. At first, I was shocked because I wondered if she was really thinking about killing someone (that question is still unanswered). When I thought about it, it meant a lot because she trusted me and believed in me so much that I would be there for her in her darkest times, and she’s right.

The most recent time when I was told I was someone’s person, it was at 2:00 a.m. and I was having a meltdown. I texted my friend of 12 years, and she calmed me down immediately and brought tears to my eyes because she told me how proud of me she was and how she knows I will be successful in whatever I do. As if that wasn’t enough, she ended with, “You’re my person." After already knowing what it meant, I cried even more because even though I was the one who was there for her darkest moments or when she was in need, she was there for me too. Knowing that you have someone who is there for you as much as you are there for them is the most amazing feeling.

Being someone’s person is the most rewarding privilege because I am one of the first people my friends go to talk to for advice, for venting and for encouragement. Whenever something exciting happens, my friends always say that they couldn’t wait to tell me. One of my best friends says that whenever she’s in the middle of doing something crazy, her first thought is telling me. My friends ask all the time for relationship advice (I’m very much single.), and I never understood why they would want relationship advice from someone who’s single. I remember asking my friends why they would ever want relationship advice from me, and they would just say, “Because." Then I realized that I’m their person. Even if I’m not going through what they’re going through, they value me so much that they want to hear my opinion (even when they know I disagree). Even when I disagree, I know that my friends want my support, and as someone’s person, my go to line is, “You like it; I love it." When they hear that, they know that they have my blessing regardless of what I think, which is sometimes all that matters.

As long as my friends are happy, I will be their person until the day I die. I love them so much, and I never thank them enough for making me their person. Thank you. You're my person, too.