What Your First Few Months Of College Will Actually Look Like

Written by your typical struggling freshman.

4

Whether you are in college, graduated from college, never going to college or are in your local coffee shop bumming off the Wi-Fi because you can't afford Internet... I have news for you. College sucks. (At least at first.)

They say that every experience is different, and it varies based on who you are and what you do. These accusations are false. College will suck no matter who you are or what you do. Let me explain why.

People suck.

It is plain and simple. People will disappoint you. People will hurt you. People will soar past your already low expectations for them and plummet into the awful depths known as reality. I don't say this to be negative. I say it in the most happiest of tones; really, I do.

You feel alone.

No one cares. Even the ring of your very persistent mom who calls you seven times a day for the first three months of college will eventually become silent. Your family, who obviously still loves you, will get back into their regular routine and you won't be a part of it anymore. Your friends from home will make new friends and your dog will find a new bed to sleep on at night.

Your teachers don't care.

Very rarely will you meet a teacher who genuinely cares about their students. You realize over time that you are just one of the 90 faceless pupils in the crowd. Your instructor will hope that his words will sink in and that you understand the material. If you don't, that weight is on your shoulders—not theirs. They just look at you as another fluctuation in their overall average.

You get fat.

As sad as it is... The Freshman 15 is not, I repeat, not a joke. Do not take this lightly. Go to the gym while you can. When you finally are out of class and you have that 19 extra minutes of free time before your next activity to do whatever you please, I guarantee it will not be going to the gym.

You are hungry.

Contrary to my last point...

You will be hungry like 900 percent of the time. There is not enough food in your dorm room, the caf food sucks, and you're broke. As your hatred for Ramen enlarges, your hunger pains will as well. I don't remember how many times I have called my mom almost to tears about being hungry. It was a lot.

You're poor.

For the first time in your life, you are out of the nest. Free as a bird. Flying into a beautiful independent life...of debt.

You will want to go shopping. You will want to go out to eat. You will want to enjoy all the amazing opportunities life has to offer, but instead, you will have 73 cents in your bank account and a mother who won't answer your calls (she knows what you want).

You're tired.

By the end of the first semester, you are emotionally, physically and every other kind of exhausted. You will be tired of waking up for that 8 a.m. class you were sure you could handle. You are tired of that girl in your math class that seems to have a constant cold. You are tired of microwavable foods like popcorn and mac n' cheese cups. Every time you hear "Ramen," it makes you want to poke both your eyes out and jump out of your fifth-floor dorm window. You are tired of laundry that is eternally dirty. You are tired of being tired.

During the first few weeks of college, you are happy. You are rested. You have money, ambitions and a spark in your eye. By winter break, the spark is replaced by the comfort of knowing you made it through your first semester and you have gained a new positive outlook on that place you were so eager to run away from.