What Every Retail Worker Wants To Tell Customers

I'm sorry that I am doing my job.

98
publicbroadcasting.net

I truly do enjoy working retail, and I enjoy going to work everyday and helping customers. However, there have been far too many times when a customer and I do not get along. Whether I am being told by them that at another store this item is cheaper or that they are the customer so they must be right, some days are just not good days to work in retail. Here are a few things everyone who works retail wishes they could tell the customer.

I am just the cashier; I do not set the prices.

I do not set the prices, and I cannot change the prices. Unfortunately, telling me that this moisturizer is overpriced will not get you a 25 percent discount on this. Management sets the prices, so if this price truly bothers you then write them an e-mail and convince them to change it.

You cannot use a coupon that expired.

Just like you shouldn't drink milk when it expires, coupons also shouldn't be used after they are no longer effective. I am sorry that last week your favorite mascara was on sale and you were in the Bahamas, but unfortunately, we no longer are giving this sale and my system will not let me scan your coupon. Again, this is not my fault and if you are very annoyed by it then take it up with management.

When you put an item in a random spot in the store because you don’t want it anymore, I have to put it back.

I know it can be inconvenient to walk over a few rows and put it back if you don't want it. But when you put it in the wrong spot someone else will almost always pick it up and assume the price under it is the price for the product even though it is not in the right section.

Yes, I work here. No, I do not know every single item in my store.

My store is about the size of my house. I am very sorry I don't know the name of every single individual product in the store. If you give me a general idea I can point you in a good direction based on what I do know but if you list a few random qualities of a super random shampoo, I will most likely not know it off the top of my head.

I know it is frustrating when you go all the way to the store and the product you want is not there, but it is not my fault we are not fully stocked right now.

We get shipment once a week and if we currently do not have a product for you then we can tell you when we assume it will come next. I am sorry we do not have your specific product, but just because we sold them all and have none in the back is not a good reason to get upset with a worker.

Please don’t let your children play with everything.

Children like to wreak havoc and destroy everything. Please control your children.

When you decide to open up a product and test it, we lose money because we cannot sell a damaged good.

Enough said. When you open something other than the tester in store, most likely no one else will buy it and so we will lose money from that.

I understand you love this song, but I have heard it seven times today and I currently hate it and get shivers down my back when I hear it outside of work.

I hate the playlist that constantly plays at work, and the worst part is that it is generally the top hits of right now so whenever I listen to the radio I want to cry.

It is my job to check up on you and ask if you need help, so please don’t get mad at me for doing it.

Please, do not get mad at me for bothering you while you shop. I am being paid to help customers find what they need and sell products to those who don't know what they need. If you know what you want then all you have to do is politely say, "No thank you, I don't need help today."