Yes, I Went To A Charter School But No, It Wasn't What You Think

Remember that the schools are for the students and NOT for the teachers.

202
Facebook

As I sat in one of my classes, which was filled with many students who aspired to be lawyers, we started to talk about public schools in our area. Michigan has some issues when it comes to public school, and so we started talking about that in relation to politics. One mother raised her hand and started bashing charter schools, and I was awestruck. Yeah, I hated my school when I was in it but looking back it saved me.

I've mentioned before, I'm not inherently smart, and I struggled a lot. If I would have gone to a "public" school, I could have fallen through the cracks like many troubled kids do. But I didn't, because I was blessed with having only between 20 and 25 students in my class every year. We grew up together. Over half of the kids that I started kindergarten with, I graduated 8th grade with. And after that? I graduated high school with some of them, and even still see them on my college campus. Each kid knew every other kid and although we weren't all BFFs, we had a respected bond.

There was drama, of course. Every girl had liked every boy or girl at my school as there wasn't much of a pool to pick from. People rarely came and stayed if they hadn't started in elementary school with us, but that helped us get to know each other. And more importantly, it helped the teachers get to know us.

If a student was falling behind, there was immediate intervention. Whether students were the ones to pick up on it or the teachers, the struggling student was supported. We all stuck together like a family. I didn't appreciate it until I got older, but looking back, this idea of family within the charter school system saved a lot of us.

I was comfortable with my principle and teachers. When I found out that my best friend was cutting herself, there was no hesitation to go straight to my computer teacher and ask for help. We got her help right away, and I think that's where I've learned to be confrontational. If she had never taken the time to get to know me and hear me out, my best friend could have died.

A teacher doesn't get paid enough to be a teacher, a therapist, a social worker, a mentor, and so much more, but does it anyway. The hardest memories are always accompanied by the strongest teachers surrounding me and supporting me.

So next time you bash charter schools, remember that the schools are for the students and NOT for the teachers. Thank your teachers, and thank God that we live in a country with MULTIPLE options for schooling.

Shout out to Mrs. Bookout: Thanks for dealing with me all those years.