5 Weird Rules Senators Have To Follow During Trump's Impeachment
Currently

The 5 Weirdest Rules Senators Must Abide By In Trump's Impeachment Trial

No cell phones, but you may play with a fidget spinner.

174

As the impeachment trial kicks into high gear, senators are tiring of the rules that they have to follow — and with rules like this, who can blame them?

The trial must begin with the words, "Hear ye, hear ye, hear ye!"

Senate decorum rules mandate that the trial begins with the declaration, "Hear ye! Hear ye! Hear ye!" This Old English phrase is a nice way of telling senators to be quiet and listen.

No cell phones or laptops

No cell phones or laptops are allowed in the Senate chamber during the trial. Republican senators have been handing out fidget spinners to pass the time while listening to the arguments brought forth by the House Impeachment Managers and President Trump's defense team. Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) worked on a crossword puzzle in the chamber to pass the time.

No outside food

Senators are not allowed to eat food on the Senate floor. However, in the 1960s, senators began to keep a "candy drawer" in the chamber, which many senators have been utilizing during the long days. Sen. Pat Toomey (R-PA) currently occupies the Wonka-esque desk. Some senators have snuck food onto the floor, like Senator Ben Sasse (R-NE) who brought a bag of beef jerky to snack on. Sen. Bernie Sanders (D-VT) sneakily opened some mints. Otherwise, senators have reportedly been feasting on Qdoba in the cloakroom.

Water or milk only

Senators are traditionally only allowed to drink still or sparkling water out of a glass in the Senate chamber. In the 1960s, senators began to allow milk on the Senate floor. Senators are now allowed to keep their own supply of milk in the cloakroom and ask pages to pour them a glass. Sen. Mitt Romney (R-UT) broke Senate rules by drinking chocolate milk out of a bottle during the trial.

Senators must be silent during the trial

Passing notes has made its way from middle school classrooms to the floor of the Senate as many senators sneak post-its and crumpled balls of paper to one another to communicate. Senators are not allowed to talk during the trial or interrupt the speakers. Marco Rubio reportedly brought a quill pen to take notes during the trial.