Weird Roommate Things

Weird Roommate Things

Your roommate probably, hopefully, won't be a cannibal

85
Weird Roommate Things
Abigail Ambrose

So, if you are about to head to college, this might be the first time you have a roommate like it was for me. Or at the very least, it is your first time having a roommate for a long period of time who isn't related to you and you barely know. I had a good first experience of having a roommate, but I know some of my friends did not have the same experience, so I want to talk about roommate things.

Today, I was talking to my summer roommate about what to write today and now I have to quote her because otherwise, I feel like people won't believe me about what she said. She said, "How about you write about how your roommate is a cannibal."

Now, I will say to my knowledge she has never eaten a person. But, she does talk about cannibalism a lot. And I do mean a lot. Like my friends in the hall now know about it. She also has a foot which is wrapped like hamburger meat as her computer screen saver.

I want it on the record that until we started rooming together, I had somehow remained unaware of this. We did know each other before we started rooming together. We both are part of the Newman group on campus and we are both STEM majors so we have talked during some joint STEM events. We also have talked a bit due to a mutual friend. Yet, somehow I made it this far in knowing her and didn't know that.

So now, I want to talk about something that would apply to more people. Most of you will not have a roommate who talks about cannibalism a lot. In fact, I'm not going to generalize any part of your experience because chances are your experience with your roommate won't even be the same as the person who is living in the room one door down from you. But understand that it will be different. Chances are you have two people who came from very different lives beforehand in the same room. Chances are it will seem a little weird.

Think of it this way, you are now forced to live with somebody who you know nothing about. My roommate from this past school year and I talked about this a lot. It is one of the weirder experiences I have been through in my life and I had a very good first roommate. It is just strange and it will take some getting used to.

So, take a deep breath. It will be okay. And chances are your roommate will not be a cannibal.