To The Weary College Student: Holiday Break Is Near, So Keep Your Eye On The Prize

College is the donut-incentivized treadmill, and holiday break is the donut.

39
Amber Peskin

I know I am not the only one who wants to go home, curl into the fetal position, and sleep for three days. We are hitting the point of the semester where we are merely over it. Midterm season has passed, and we are experiencing a whole new level of exhaustion.

Holiday break is so close, yet so far. I feel like college is the donut-incentivized treadmill, and holiday break is the donut. I am yearning for the moments of rest that the month of December is sending my way, but time is going by extremely slow. Despite the stress that this semester had induced, it is important to remember the big picture.

Our life journey has taken a pit stop at college, and we will be spending the next two to four years of our lives here, possibly more if you go to graduate school. We have chosen to come here for a variety of reasons, and we have a good chunk of time left ahead of us. Accepting that our paths are difficult and that is why not everyone takes them is liberating. College stressors are annoying. However, utilizing your stress for productivity and keeping your eyes on the prize are key elements of succeeding, along with taking the time to delve into self-care.

I know stress is a common word in this article, but I cannot stress this enough: Never forget the reason you started. If you give up now, all of the time and effort you have put into your goals will be wasted. There is nothing wrong with pouring some gas on your flames every now and then. Burnout is normal. Maybe normal is not the right word, but given the context, it works.

Holiday break is near. Hopefully, you will spend your holiday break with your loved ones and get plenty of rest. You will start spring semester feeling refreshed.

Hang in there,

Fellow Weary College Student