Wearing a Mask In Public Doesn't Infringe on Your Freedom, It Makes You a Decent Person

Just wear the mask.

13
Photo by Vera Davidova on Unsplash

When this pandemic emerged a few months ago, no one thought that something as simple as following health guidelines would be so highly politicized. However, with more and more recommendations and rules coming each day, the drama is only increasing.

It's no secret that the comment section on Facebook is filled with meaningless fights, but as the news continues to report on Covid-19, it seems that people are only becoming less compliant with the doctor-recommended guidelines and rules. Although it has been proven over and over again that masks are perfectly safe to wear in public, there are still people who refuse, using a lack of personal liberty as their reasoning.

But you know what would really take away someone's freedom and liberty? Dying because they interacted with someone who refused to wear a mask during their 10 minute trip to the grocery store. When someone refuses to wear a mask, social distance, or follow simple health guidelines, they are essentially stating that they don't care about anyone else around them.

Complying with simple rules should not be that hard to do. Parents who choose to not wear masks or have their kids wear them are teaching their children that it is okay to be selfish and you don't have to follow guidelines, even when they are set by professionals.

Some people would argue that wearing a mask doesn't have any effect on the spread of the disease. These misinformed people are the reason why the virus continues to spread. The reason for wearing a mask is not that it will prevent you from getting the virus. Wearing the mask will, however, prevent you from spreading the disease to someone else-- making those who purposefully choose not to wear them nothing but selfish.

The vector of this virus is droplets. Of course, wearing a mask won't prevent you from breathing on another person, but it will prevent the droplets from your mouth from reaching the air when they are stopped by the mask- thus preventing them from being inhaled by the other person. Given that there have been many cases where the Covid-positive patient was completely asymptomatic, it is more important than ever to ensure that you are doing all you can to not spread the virus. Even if you are feeling well, you could still be passing the virus on to other people, so it is always better to be safe.

No one ever said that wearing a mask is a fool-proof way to prevent yourself from getting the virus, but it is a good way to prove to society that you care about others enough to participate in a simple act that could save lives. If you are still choosing to be ignorant and not follow the most basic guidelines, you are setting a bad example, and possibly killing someone, so do the easy thing and simply wear a mask.