7 Ways To Make The Most Of The Longer Days Summer Has To Offer

It’s finally summer, so get back on track.

131
Mariel Loughlin

Summer is the perfect way to start over. The weather is nice, the nights are longer, and there is so much potential for what the days have to offer. Take advantage of the time you have before you go back to school and get caught up in your busy schedule. This time is for yourself, so you should appreciate it.

1. Reconnect yourself spiritually.

Over the year, with busy schedules and hectic days, I have fallen out of my routine of connecting spiritually. Whether you practice or not, it is important to find that relationship with yourself or your faith to help you stay grounded and further develop a sense of hope.

2. Make your friends important.

Friends are one of the most important parts of my life. I need them. I want to talk to them, and I want them to talk to me. I want to be the person to them that they are to me. Work on listening.

3. New music, duh

New music is my favorite part of the summer. Spotify and Apple Music help me find my music and discover new music off of recent vibes I listened to. I love coming back to school with a specific musical aesthetic. I highly recommend "Dreams Tonite" by Alvaays and "Agony" by Beach Fossils.

4. Stay up to date.

Try staying up to date but not just with social media and texting. What about reading the newspaper? Understand what’s going on in the world around you, not just what is on your Facebook timeline.

5. Exercise doesn’t just keep you in shape.

Finally, it’s warm outside!! Go for a run. Sweat off that sweat and release those endorphins. It’ll make you happier. You need it.

6. Learn more, even if you're not in school.

While I dedicate my school year to academics, I use the summer to work on personal knowledge and making myself a better, well-rounded person. Watch movies, read books, listen to podcasts. Yep, podcasts too.

7. Get back on track.

Identify your values. Write them down. Understand mistakes will happen but stay true to yourself and don’t let other people get in the way. Balance selfishness and selflessness. Everything will be okay.