Watch Where You're Going, Fat A$$!

Watch Where You're Going, Fat A$$!

My experience with being "fat."

28
Watch Where You're Going, Fat A$$!

Just for your information, this is not an attack on skinny people.

I've been "fat" my whole life. In case you are unaware of what that means, the term "fat" is used to describe anyone who is the least bit overweight or someone who just looks bigger. I have not only been fat my whole life, but I have been called fat my whole life.

I'm not called fat so bluntly. I've gotten fat-ass, chubby, big boy, hefty, and even chunky. Although these terms don't say fat, they definitely mean it.

It used to get to me when I was younger, I became extremely self-conscious of my body and how I looked. I would get teased on the playground and at the beach about my round figure, which really took a toll on my self esteem. It made me second guess myself and always be aware of how I was being seen from another person's eyes. Mirrors became my best friend, but also my enemy.

I then learned to make fun of myself. Self-deprecating humor was the way to go for me. I started to feel more comfortable in my own skin. As soon as I started to make fun of myself, the comments started to go away. It's funny, it made me feel better to make fun of myself rather than to hear it from someone else's mouth.

It's not like I didn't want to lose weight. When I was younger, I played most of the sports young people play. I'm not saying I was incredible, but I was on a few teams. I had this huge desire to make myself skinny. But there was one thing I could not overcome, a mountain that was too high to conquer. My love of food.

Food had always been there for me, in both good times and bad. I could count on it at all times. One day in seventh grade I decided to make a change, I told myself I would do my best to not let anyone get to me. I was going to put on a thick skin, and not give anyone a reason to make me upset about myself. It honestly worked.

Being fat does not define me. Being fat is just something that I am, but it is not all that I am. I owe most of my personality to me being overweight. In fact, it is something that makes me stronger.