Why You Should Watch What You Drink

Why You Should Watch What You Drink

Your beverages might be at fault.

76
Why You Should Watch What You Drink

Everywhere I turn, I see someone holding a drink in their hand, sipping it as if it isn't as dangerous or unhealthy as a burger or burrito. For some odd reason, many people pay closer attention to what they eat than what they drink. However, your drink products are equally as important. The same amount of calories you examine on a bag of chips could be the same amount of calories you sip on all day. Below is a list of drinks I compiled, including soft drinks, that I see people carelessly drinking every day.

1. Coke, a 12 ounce bottle, 140 calories

Oh, do people love their Coca-Cola! I bet more people would love the calories they'd save from not drinking a can, or two. Just to help you compare, a bottle of Coca-Cola is the same as eating a (1 oz) bag of Doritos Nacho Cheese Flavored Tortilla Chips (140 calories).

2. Starbuck's Vanilla Bean Creme Frappuccino, 16 fl oz, 400 calories

Now, you know I couldn't forget about the Frappuccino lovers! Yes, you read it correctly, 400 calories. I hope that was your meal replacement, because you just drank what could've been your lunch.

3. Strawberry Real Fruit Slush from Sonic Drive-In, medium, 280 calories

My friends love Sonic slushies, but I want them to know that they could've eaten a small size of french fries from McDonald's for a less amount of calories.

4. Sweet Tea (from Whataburger), medium, 330 calories

Southerners love their sweet tea! That's OK, I understand you can't resist the cup full of sugar-filled, liquid goodness. I just hope you have 92 minutes to spare, because that's how long it's going to take to burn off that same amount of calories (92 minutes of walking).

5. Minute Maid Orange Juice, 15 fluid oz, 220 calories

For the ones who thought they were in the clear because they don't drink soda, I'm sorry to say, but you're not. You might be saying to yourself, "Well, it's still better than soda." However, when you look at how much sugar it has (49 grams) ,it's easier to accept how similar it is to Coca-Cola...which has 49.5 grams of sugar in a 15 fluid oz bottle.

I hope this list brought more awareness to the unspoken drinking issues that surrounds us each day. Drinks like the ones listed above are adding unnecessary calories to our diets. I do, however, love how more people are becoming more health conscious by watching what they eat and exercising more, but I want to see more people consciously watching what they drink, as well. A great way to consume less daily calories would be to not drink beverages like the ones listed above. So, next time you find yourself about to buy a frappuccino or a slush, ask yourself, "Is it really worth the calories?"