Assateague Island, A Magical Place Spanning Two States

Did someone say horses?
255

Imagine. You are sitting on the beach but instead of being surrounded by people everywhere you look, you are instead surrounded by horses. For about ten dollars a day, you can park your car, drag all your beach materials up the sand, and settle down right on the beach. Wind blowing in your hair and the view of not only the ocean but horses as well.

This is Assateague Island. Located near Ocean City, Assateague Island is a long island that people can visit and even camp on. To camp though is almost impossible. Stated on the Assateague website; “Campsite reservations are available six months in advance. Be aware that nearly all reservations for weekends are filled the first day that they become available” Every time I have visited this is very true.

When I was younger, both my mom and I camped out and at four a.m. the horses had arrived and were raiding our food tent. It was a really cool experience as a six-year-old to see horses at four a.m. Despite the fact that you might not be able to camp though, it is a really awesome place to go for even the day. Although horses are fantastic to see at a beach, people often forget that they are wild horses. There is a pretty hefty fine to feed or touch them and it is recommended to stay several feet away.

Assateague Island has two beaches. The first is stateside, which is where people camp or pay ten dollars a day. The other beach, the federal side, is in my personal opinion much cooler. You can park your car on the beach and your dogs can come too. Of course, you have to pick up after your dogs but I know for a fact mine love going to the beach.

Kayaking is a great way to also get out there and look for more horses and other wildlife. So, the downside? The mosquitos, but what beach does not have them? Plus, Assateague Island is only a short drive away from Ocean City if you want to make the escape from the crowded beach to a more relaxing trip. Top this all off with the potential to see horses and you have the ultimate beach experience.