Virtual Reality: Something on the Horizon

Is it even fun though?

31
Sony

Playstation VR is something that is, frankly, surprisingly cool.

Why surprisingly, you may ask? Well, because my image of VR prior to the recent upsurge of it was “fake” VR style devices- such as Nintendo’s ill-fated Virtual Boy. So when I first heard of things like Oculus, I was not to sure. When people started saying how it was going be the future, I never took it seriously. The future, just like how 3D TVs were the future? We sure do see a bunch of 3D TVs now- well we do not. I suspected that VR would be similar to that. Well, after a while, the HTC Vive came out. Online people enjoyed because it is directed at Steam games. The Oculus has since been left in the dust in that regard.

Still, I was not convinced.

It proved to be one of those things were you just have to try it to see.

My roommates and I purchased a Playstation VR headset. It was a pretty good purchase I’ll say.

Enough to say, it has been cool. The demos/games available for it, are well put together, since larger developers are developing for it. The headset itself is well made and it's actually conformable.

The downside is what all of VR suffers from- people getting motion sickness. Now, I do not get it but I know others that do. However, besides that, VR itself actually is cool.

Is it the future?

Well, it is not accessible for now. My apartment only could afford it after splitting it in four ways. And that's if you already have a PS4. As for HTC Vive, you have to have a PC to be able to run it- and the specs required are not the average level of specs I’ll say.

When technology can get made for a wider audience, and somehow motion sickness can be helped, and if it is easier to obtain, it can do wonders.

It has potential, but if it is going change gaming, we will see.