Vice President-Elect Mike Pence Received a Message From the Cast of Hamilton

"We are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us."

2
Business Insider

On Friday, the 18th of November, Vice President-Elect Mike Pence spent his evening in the Richard Rogers theater watching one of the most groundbreaking musicals in history, Hamilton. As he arrived, Pence was booed by other audience members as entered the theater and made his way to his seat. After the musical was finished, it was said that several times cast members sang directly to Pence, including King George's song "You'll Be Back (Reprise)" and the famous line sung in The Battle of Yorktown, "Immigrants, we get the job done!" Both moments caused standing ovations in the middle of the performance.

What happened after the show, however, was the most important moment of the night. As cast gathered on stage for their final bow, Brandon Victor Dixon, who plays Aaron Burr, stepped forward and addressed Mike Pence by name. "We sir-- we are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us... This is one American story told by a diverse group of men and women of different colors, creeds and orientations." You can watch the full speech here.

This morning, President-Elect Trump began his infamous tweeting once again as he demanded the cast of Hamilton apologize for "harassing" Pence after the performance. He then went on to say that the Theater "must always be a safe and special place."

Brandon Dixon, the actor who read the speech, responded to Trump through Twitter stating "conversation is not harassment, sir. And I appreciate Mike Pence for stopping to listen."

These events have sparked a trending hashtag on twitter called #BoycottHamilton, in which people claim that the musical should be boycotted due to their speech to Pence. However, many twitter users have pointed out that the show is sold out through next year, and that it has been impossible to buy a ticket for months, rendering the hashtag completely pointless.

What do you think about this? Leave a comment underneath!