Venom Is Overhyped And Not As Dark As It Appears

'Venom' Was Overhyped And Isn't As Amazing As It Was Made Out To Be

Apparently, "Venom" isn't really the top villain in this movie.

39

This Sunday, I went out with a friend to finally go see the movie "Venom." Ever since the trailer for this film dropped earlier in the year, I'd been so excited to see it in the theatres. As a Marvel movie lover (although this movie wasn't produced by Marvel), I was excited on how they would take a dark and twisty turn in introducing Venom and this whole anti-hero dynamic. I also love anything that Marvel is associated with, so that helped a bit.

The plot for "Venom" follows the life of a journalist named Eddie Brock. After recently enduring a heartbreak after his fiancé calls off their engagement, he decides to investigate a company that may not be doing ethical things with an alien species and human lab rats. Most of the help in this investigation comes from a woman who works directly in the lab. When Eddie finds himself in the central lab facility with a lead scientist, he finds a homeless woman he usually sees on the street trapped in a prison-like room. When he sees her, he tries to save her by breaking her out of the cell, but, because an alien known as a symbiote was inhabiting her, Eddie, unfortunately, becomes its next host. The rest of the movie follows Eddie fighting and trying to co-exist with this symbiote, as well as his battling the head of the company to prevent them from retrieving the symbiote.

Needless to say, "Venom" is a good movie. The best movie or even a top-tier one? No, but it still has some nice features to it. There's a scene late in the film where Venom is surrounded by tens of military agents, and he literally takes the smoke grenades that are thrown at him and crushes them in his hands. Also, Venom himself is an interesting "villain" and something I would like to learn more details about.

Unfortunately for the viewer, "Venom" just wasn't as dark as I had hoped it would be. I'd hope they'd escape using the Marvel movie humor and really get down to the storyline and character backgrounds, but that just didn't happen during the movie. It was just a bit disappointing from what the trailers hyped it up to be.

If you've watched the movie and seen the after-credits, you can see that there will most likely be a "Venom 2" in the near future. If this does indeed happen, you'll probably still catch me at the movie theatre watching. There's just something deep within me that causes me to watch just about any superhero movie, mainly Marvel ones, even if it's not the best.