Using The FaceApp To Look Old

We’re The Generation Who Finds Amusement Out Of Making Ourselves Look Older With ‘FaceApp’

Ever wondered what the Jonas Brothers would look like when they’re old? Now you know thanks to an app.

53
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz_jY7Xns--/?igshid=s7snp5ann41b

Have you ever wondered what you would look like forty or fifty years from now? Well you're not alone. Over 277,000 people have given The FaceApp 4.7 stars, simply for making them look…old!

The Hashtag #FaceApp has over 435k posts on Instagram with users of every age showing their friends what they should expect to see when they hit 65+. The concept is simple enough: upload a picture, apply a filter, and bam, you'll see yourself age 50 years in seconds.

Celebrities like the Jonas Brothers, have jumped on the #FaceAppChallenge and showed their followers what they'd look like in the "year 3000." Not surprisingly, they still look amazing as a trio of silver foxes.

In contrast to people wanting to see what they'd look like in old age, they are clearly adamant about preventing it. In 2018 the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) released new statistics on the growth of the plastic surgery industry showing that there were over, "17.5 million surgical and minimally invasive cosmetic procedures performed in the United States in 2017, a 2 percent increase over 2016."

Another shocking statistic from the ASPS showed that since the year 2000, the number of minimally invasive cosmetic procedures in America has increased over 200%. Americans might be interested in seeing what they would look like in old age, but they will do everything in their power to look more youthful.

With the body positive movement encouraging women of all ages to find confidence in themselves just as they are, why has there not been more support behind women and men who are aging? Particularly aging in the face?

While it is completely understandable that cosmetic procedures can help boost your confidence, what about those of us who can't afford it or simply don't feel comfortable injecting products into our face?

Cosmetic procedures have become so normalized through social media in today's society, it almost seems foreign to see people age naturally. "You mean you don't fill your smile lines, crows feet, or your forehead? Let me refer you to my lady who does mine, she is amazing!" This is something I commonly hear living in Orange County. Where women begin getting cosmetic surgery the moment they see a wrinkle on their face.

However, I think that lines, wrinkles, and everything else that comes with aging should be celebrated and encouraged. If you look closely, those wrinkles tell a story. A beautiful story of a life well-lived. Her smile lines appear from all the times her loved ones have brought her joy. His crows feet are from smiling while watching his son play baseball. These lines tell a story of time passed by, why prevent them from telling it?

While adding a filter to your face to see what you'd look like years from now might seem funny, it's a little ironic considering so many people shame the aging process. Botox or not, you're beautiful and your wrinkles tell a story that's unique and original, just like you.