To Each And Every Sexual Assault Victim At The University of Alabama

To the ones who have experienced a traumatic event, such as sexual assault, on the University of Alabama's campus, this is for you.

791
The University of Alabama / Instagram

Every headline. Every Tweet. No matter what source of media it may be, whenever I see the words "University of Alabama" and "sexual assault" in the same sentence, my heart drops. I begin to feel a sudden sadness wave over my body. As an empathetic person, I imagine that the pain one must feel after being violated in such a way is something enigmatic.

Whether you're enjoying your night out, studying in Gorgas/Rodgers, or just partaking in life's daily rituals...no one ever thinks they would become a sexual assault victim.

Though I may not be a sexual assault victim, and though I may not know the pain and suffering you all must feel...one thing I can say is, I am deeply sorry for the trauma you have experienced. I am deeply sorry that someone thought it was okay to desecrate your body.

It was NEVER your fault! No matter how many times UAPD asks you what you wore or how much you had to drink, none of that matters. I want you to know that your consent was not given, despite all barbaric and archaic ways UAPD or the University of Alabama's administration may think.

It's going to take some time, but this trauma will eventually mold you into a stronger, beautiful human being. One that is able to stand tall against all demons and conquer the world, concurrently. Remember that healing is a process and that it is best to take everything one day at a time.

You're going to have good days and you're going to have bad days. There are days when you will be at your happiest and there will be days when you will have flashbacks or maybe at your lowest point.

What you must remember is that you are more than just a victim. You are STRONG, a FIGHTER, a FORCE to be reckoned with. You deserve love, support, compassion, empathy and everything in between.

Continue to HEAL, LOVE and GROW!

Healing is the most important part of the process. Whether that be through meditation or therapy, find an avenue that will help you heal from this trauma, so you can grow as an individual.

Time does not heal all wounds, but with the help of a healthy support system, you will overcome this trauma.

Stay strong, be brave, be courageous and continue to conquer the world.

Signed,

An empathetic UA student