5 Reasons Why UDance Is The Best Day Of The Year For Any UD Student

You know, that day I've been raising money for and posting about for the past year?

315
Author's photo

All your hard work has to lead up to this incredible day. You sent hundreds of emails, posted countless Facebook statuses, annoyed your Instagram followers with way too many polls, and requested everyone you know on Venmo. You’ve finally met your fundraising goal, and now it’s time to celebrate.

For those of you who may not know what UDance is, it is a year-round effort to raise funds and awareness for pediatric cancer that culminates in a 12-hour dance marathon at The University of Delaware. The money students raised is donated to The Andrew McDonough B+ Foundation, which provides financial aid to families with a child battling cancer and funds cutting-edge research.

1. Hero Hour is the cutest thing you will ever see.

Sororities, fraternities, sports teams, and clubs are paired with “B+ Heroes.” A Hero is a child who is currently fighting cancer, and they get to become a member of whichever organization they are matched with. Heroes go to events and hang out with their sisters/brothers/teammates/members throughout the entire year. However, on the day of UDance, they get to show off their skills in front of the entire UD community. During “Hero Hour” each Hero goes up on stage and performs a song, dance, magic trick, or any type of skill he or she chooses. Year after year, parents of Heroes thank students for making their children feel so important under the spotlight.

2. There is free food for program members.

If you are a Moraler, Dancer, or a member of the Comma Club, you get lunch and dinner for free! Additionally, there are snacks and drinks everywhere, free for the taking. What better way is there to get college students to come to an event than to bribe them with free food?

3. There's a silent disco. Enough said.

A silent disco isn’t something you find just any day, so knowing it will be at UDance is extremely exciting. From the outside, it may look like a bunch of crazy kids singing as if no one can hear them. However, when you place the headphones over your own ears, you realize that everyone in your vicinity is hearing the same music, and you get to jam out together. The line for the silent disco is always long, as it is hugely popular among the students at UD.

4. There are great opportunities for cute pictures.

What’s a good event if it doesn’t provide an opportunity for a good Instagram post? Luckily for any UDance attendee, there is an area designated to help you get the ultimate picture. Decked out with giant FTK letters and other elaborate props, the photo area will absolutely leave you with a flawless photo to post.

5. Seeing the reveal of the total amount raised is absolutely incredible.

After standing for 12 hours straight, you’re likely to be tired and ready to go home. However, once the total is raised, you begin to understand the impact the entirety of UDance actually has, and how many people The B+ Foundation is able to help because of our efforts. There are no words to describe the feeling of knowing the significance of the fundraising work we have done over the past year. Seeing the total is a symbol of just how much dedication every participant of UDance has given to fight against childhood cancer.