On Trump's Deteriorating Mental State

On Trump's Deteriorating Mental State

Why this is incredibly dangerous for the future of our country.

592
On Trump's Deteriorating Mental State

Let me begin by stating this is not a personal attack on President Donald Trump. Not to say I have never personally attacked him. But this time, it really isn’t.

Anyhow...

Oftentimes, throughout his campaign and current administration, people have justified Donald Trump’s shortcomings by mentioning his business sensibility. It is an overused, but fair argument, perpetuated by those with no other valid defense for his actions. There is something to this, though. He is (or was) a smart businessman. So, why is he now unintelligible and largely useless to our federal government?

Though Trump was always crude and a raging misogynistic narcissist, the things he said made some sense. When he spoke publicly, his sentences were less fragmented and more conclusive. He had coherent ideas that seemed more concrete, and less contingent on maniacal hatred or a need to please others. His speech patterns are simple and repetitive. He jumps from point to point without any logical connection to bridge two topics.

A few of his many nonsensical statements:

“There is no collusion between certainly myself and my campaign, but I can always speak for myself, and the Russians, zero.”

“Despite the constant negative press covfefe."

"So that was my words."

Maybe Trump is trying to appeal to a certain sect of his supporters, feeling as though his language is more accessible than that of his predecessors. But, it is more likely that he is deteriorating. If he is not experiencing early onset Dementia, he is well on his way.

Trump has a family history of Alzheimer’s Disease. In fact, his father, Fred Trump, had it for six years before he died. This is a largely hereditary disease, easily sped up by an unhealthy lifestyle. Trump has spoken to his disbelief in the effects of exercise and a love of fast food. Neither of these things is to the benefit of anyone, but especially not to someone with the responsibility of running the country.

As the president, especially at an age where things like cognition and linguistics are deteriorating, he should have more concern about his health. Namely diet, exercise and sleep patterns. Late night emotional tweets don’t exactly point to his health or sanity. This is a man involved in central intelligence, who can put us to war and strip people of their civil liberties. It is frightening to think someone in an unfit state of mind could potentially put us into extremely dangerous situations.

Whether or not Trump has Dementia is indefinite, however, he needs to take better care of himself. His decline in speech and overuse of repetition are evidence of his cognitive decline that will only continue throughout his presidency. Hopefully, he will not send us into war in the next three years and three months. (Yes, I am counting.) All we can do is continue to be informed of his actions and hope that nothing dangerous comes of his poor judgement.

Godspeed!