Why Trump's Impeachment Is A Win For American Democracy

Donald Trump won't be removed from office. While I, and millions of other Americans, wish he would be, he won't. The Senate currently has a Republican majority, and every single Republican in the House voted against impeachment.

But this is still a win.

Even though Trump won't be removed from office, his impeachment means that there's hope.

For his entire presidential term, Trump has shown us time and time again that he's a criminal and dangerous to this country. Aside from being impeached for abuse of power and obstruction of Congress, he tried to forbid transgender individuals from joining the military, overlooked the murder of a journalist and U.S. resident for political reasons, withdrew from the Paris accords, still has not released his tax returns, allowed detention centers to reach deplorable conditions, and going so far as to quote a f*cking dictator.

And that's a very small list.

If I were to write every horrible thing Trump has done, you'd be reading this article for hours. Trump's impeachment doesn't mean that he will have to answer to every one of these horrible things, but it does give us hope. For the first time since the 2016 presidential results were announced, as I lay in bed with tears streaming down my face, I have hope.

His impeachment means that the American people are still fighting for justice and won't bow down to a tyrant.

This impeachment is about a moment in time, a moment in history where we said enough. We've been screaming and yelling and crying, and our country heard us. In this present moment, our country's institutions fought back against the man who has threatened America's ideals and people, and they won.

No, Trump won't be removed from office, but his presidency will forever be stained by this impeachment. History books will write about the day that America stopped a man from jeopardizing the freedom and safety of millions.

America will remember this day, and so will I. Today is the day that gave me back my hope.

"Let America be the dream the dreamers dreamed
Let it be that great land of love
Where never kings connive nor tyrants scheme"
Langston Hughes