That One Time I Tried to Be Vegan

That One Time I Tried to Be Vegan

And I barely lasted a month.
220

Eating healthy can be a huge challenge. To further my weight loss and I decided to become began at the beginning of August. I technically wasn't fully vegan because I still ate eggs and on occasion, I had non-vegan desserts. My friends and family thought I was weird for doing this but let's be honest, they always think I'm weird.

I was vegan for about two weeks before school started in the fall. I had to get creative in the dining halls to not cheat on my new vegan diet. The dining hall doesn’t have a lot of vegan options so I found myself eating a lot of hummus, fruits, vegetables, pasta, cereal, and bread.

Eventually, I got bored and felt very hungry since my options were so limited. After another two weeks, I decided to eat fish and I called myself a pesca-vegan. Have you heard of it before? I think it’s a fairly new and uncommon term, but it was the only way I could describe to others what I ate.

Eventually, I got bored with that because I really missed cheese. Even though I’m lactose-intolerant, I think cheese is a great addition to any meal. What really made me miss it was the one time I was out after a party. My friend and I ran into this guy we sort of knew. He’s pretty awesome and I’ll have another story about him soon. For the sake of this article let’s call him Richard.

Richard is a highly spiritual person like myself. I don’t know how but we were walking together and he decided to go into Cottage Inn to order food and walked out a minute later with a large pepperoni pizza that he got FOR FREE.

I know this is a tangent but just pay attention. Like I said I was really missing cheese and then boom a pizza appears right in my face on a late night out. What a tease!

I was offered a piece but explained how I was vegan blah blah blah. And he said these six words to me I’ll never forget, “You put these limits on yourself.” A week later, I stopped being vegan and went back to my regular, mainly healthy eating habits.

Moral of the story is being vegan is hard especially when the dining hall has sucky options, you're not doing it for the animals, and a free pizza is in your face.