The Trials And Tribulations Of Living In A Little Big Town

How rapper J.Cole helped me see the opportunity past my hometown.

10

I decided to thoroughly utilize my newly acquired HBO Now account and catch up on some exclusive shows that I hadn't had the pleasure of watching yet. I ended up watching J. Cole's "Forest Hills Drive Homecoming" concert movie, and it gave me a lot more to think on than I thought it would.

After listening to 2014 Forest Hills Drive the album I knew that I would throughly enjoy the concert movie. And, of course, I was vibing with the music. But, a recurring theme that was brought up was the constricting mindset of living in a small town.

Now, I cannot say that I live in a town as small as Fayetteville, but sometimes it feels that way. I have been living in Richmond ever since I was 8 years old.

I know Richmond like the back of my hand. I've grown with it. This town is within me.

Richmond has a million plus people living in it. So, it's definitely not a small town by design. But, I believe that it can give you the same type of mentality.

It's comfortable here. It's almost too comfortable. You can pretty much find a corner of it that could fit any type of individual. If you're looking for a quiet, cushy atmosphere you can head over to the suburbs just outside the city. If you're looking for a good time, there's a lively night life in the heart of the downtown. There is truly something for everyone here. So, it's easy to never leave.

But, I don't want to fall into a never-ending cycle of comfort. I want to push myself; I want to chase my dreams. It's not that I don't love my city and see the opportunity. I've met lifelong friends here and I have some amazing memories. Richmond is my city.

I just want more. I want things that the city just can't give me at this very moment. I don't want to grasp at only what's at arms reach.

My heart will always have a soft spot for Richmond though. But, my heart needs something that this city just can't offer. I have to blossom.

So, thank you J.Cole for planting the seed.