Going Out Of State For College

Going To College Out Of State Was The Best Decision I ever Made

10/10 would recommend

47
Abby Amundson

When starting the college process, I was a little hesitant about what I wanted at first. For starters, the idea of starting over is quite terrifying. Having to adjust to new surroundings, people, and create a new routine seems like too much work to do when you've spent the majority of your life in the same place with the same people.

However, going out of state for college is an experience unlike any other. It allows you to get completely out of your comfort zone. You're in a brand new area surrounded by things that are unfamiliar. Being in an environment that is so foreign allows you to become more independent than you would be if closer to home. You aren't as tempted to rely on your parents or pay a visit to your house because it is so much harder to do.

Your automatically forced to be outgoing, which allows you to meet new people quicker and form friendships. Homesickness is inevitable, but completely avoidable if you choose to keep yourself busy and adventure around your new city. You now have the opportunity to be immersed in a new culture. Explore the streets, restaurants, and campus. Learn the different slang or pick up some new terms to try on your friends and family when you finally go home. Being so far away from home makes going home so much more special. It's a rarity, so it is something to always look forward to.

You will value you the limited time you have with your friends and family and learn the importance of living in the moment. It will allow you to make the most of the time that you have and who you want to remain in contact with. You learn how to be on your own schedule and what you want to make time for or don't. Your parents aren't there to tell you what to do, so self-discipline is definitely learned. It's no secret that in-state colleges are going to be more affordable, but the number of scholarship opportunities is endless.

So, I urge you to get outside of your comfort zone. Even if it's just applying, touring, or going for a semester; going out of state could change your life for the better. It will be daunting at first, but it will be worth it in the end.