Travel Done Right: How to Prepare for your First Trip to Mexico
Travel

10

Mexico is an incredibly diverse and exciting travel destination which is a must for anyone's bucket list!

For those that are into outdoor adventure, an abundance of dives sites and epic hikes await, including trails that take you through volcanoes and lush rainforests. Those with a passion for history and culture will be blown away by abundance the Mayan ruins and cities that are dotted across the country.

It's also incredibly accessible with hundreds of flights heading there daily. So, start packing, brush up on your favorite Spanish phrases, and get ready for the trip of a lifetime.

Essentials

Before you depart you need to ensure you have all the essentials you need for a safe and fun trip. Here are some of the key things to remember if you're a first timer…

Keep that paper slip – When you arrive at the Mexican border, immigration will give you a stamp and a tourist slip, which, at the end of the trip you will need to fill out and return to them, be sure not to lose it! It's not the end of the world but can cost you a pretty penny if you do misplace it.

It pays to pay in pesos - Mexico primarily uses the Mexican Peso as its currency. Yes, the more touristy places will accept USD, but their exchange rates are dismal at best and you'll get a lot more bang for your buck if you take the time to exchange into pesos before your trip.

It isn't as dangerous as everyone makes out - Safety is a common concern for first timers to Mexico, and it's true that some more isolated areas can definitely be risky, as with any tourist destination. But the places you're likely to visit are actually pretty safe..., let your hair down, stay street smart and remember the travel insurance, just in case!

Food

No trip to Mexico is complete without trying the mouthwatering food. The street food is bursting with flavor and the dishes are far more complex than you would think. If you're in Mexico City, tacos, quesadillas, tamales and tortas are all a must and you have to get your hands on a marquesita! It's a strange but completely delicious sweet and savory snack filled with cheese and cajeta (similar to dulce de leche). – it sounds odd, but give it a go!

Must see attractions

As tempting as it can be to sit back and relax by the All-Inclusive hotel pool all day (especially when you've worked hard all year for your vacation), Mexico has so much to offer and is begging to be explored! The team at Fun Sun Mexico have put together an extensive collection of travel guides and recommendations including the best Yucatan destinations (a must for your trip), so you're sure to not miss any of the best bits.

But in short, here's a few highlights.

A visit to Cozumel island is a must for anyone into relaxing beach days and a passion for snorkeling and mellow drift dives. It is surrounded by the second largest reef in the world which surely should give it a spot on your itinerary.

Mayan ruins are at every turn. But, a favorite of course is the Chichen Itza. For those of you who prefer to avoid the crowds, the ancient city of Teotihuacan will completely blow your socks off has half the tourists and boasts and incredible number of ruins including a pyramid you can actually climb!

Cenotes are another abundance in Mexico, there's literally hundreds of them all across the country that are waiting to be dived, swam in and explored to your heart's content. Some can get extremely busy, but others offer a more tranquil get away from the hustle and bustle of mass tourism. Some of them are just a stone's throw away from Chichen Itza and make a great side trip.