Top Ten Trends We Owe to RuPaul And 'RuPaul's Drag Race'

Thank you, RuPaul. Thank you so much.

2549
Logo

If you're living in the 21st century, you've probably at least heard of RuPaul Charles, and his show "RuPaul's Drag Race." It's a competition show for female impersonators, otherwise known as drag queens, to compete for the title of next drag superstar and $100,000. For those who are not familiar with the show, it features everything from high fashion and design challenges, to acting and comedy challenges, and a cast of usually hilarious and charming characters. But I'll bet "RuPaul's Drag Race" is a lot more relevant to your life than you thought. Here are the top ten times RuPaul, and "RuPaul's Drag Race" were relevant to you life and you didn't even know it.

10. Wig snatch, and wig debut allin one

Season six top three finalist Roxxxy Andrews made Drag Race history when she pulled off her wig in a lip sync to reveal another wig! Not only was the moment iconic for fans everywhere, but it inspired this popular reaction gif of judge Michelle Visage, who was understandably impressed.

9. What's the T?

Popular phrases on the show are "no t, no shade," and "all t, all shade" like in the case of season six contestant Coco Montrese shown above. T stands for truth and can have a variety of connotations, but usually T is shady in nature. It can also been understood to be gossip, or news, when used in the phrase "what's the T?"

8. The Five Gs

If you know of any other five Gs, forget about them now and burn this into your brain: "Good God Get a Grip Girl". We have season four fan favorite Latrice Royale to thank for this one.

7. "Not today, Satan"

Drag Race Superstar Bianca Del Rio is well known for being a walking catch phrase, but this phrase in particular has stuck. Whether or not Bianca coined the phrase herself, or maybe heard it elsewhere, she popularized "not today, Satan, not today" on season six of Drag Race in 2014.

6. "Reading is fundamental"

The concept of "reading" may not have been RuPaul's own invention, but RuPaul started to feature the Library mini-challenge,with the tagline "Reading is Fundamental," during season two of Drag Race in 2010. The point of the challenge is to "read" or insult the other contestants in a way that is clever, and funny. A read is similar to a roast, but more often than not, reading is associated with the different elements of drag and is directed at flaws in a queen's drag, or her skills. Since season two, the term has expanded to include pretty much any kind of insult or backhanded compliment, and often times a read either precedes, or follows the term "no T, no shade," or "all T, all shade."

5. This Iconic Tartan Look

Season seven winner Violet Chachki is known in the drag world for a variety of things, such as her 18 inch waist(the smallest waist in Drag Race history), and this runway look that she served in the very first episode of season seven. Chances are, you've probably seen it before and never had any idea the girl in the gif was a drag queen, let alone that the gif was from "RuPaul's Drag Race." And now you know.

4. "The SHADE of it all!"

Repeat offender Latrice Royale makes her second appearance on this list for bringing us "the shade of it all" during season four in 2012. The origins of the word being using in this context actually come from the black and latino communities in the1990s, but it has now broken into mainstream culture, partially in thanks to "RuPaul's Drag Race."

3. "If you can't love yourself"

No explanation needed. Thank you, RuPaul.

2. Lip Sync Battles, aka Lip Sync For Your Life

The show "Lip Sync Battles" that features celebrities lip syncing to popular songs has been quite successful, but lip sync battles have been a key component of Drag Race since the first season in 2009. Queens that end up in the "bottom two" of the week are given a final chance to impress RuPaul in a "lip sync for your life." The queen that impresses RuPaul the most with her performance gets to stay another week, and the losing queen goes home. In other words, Spike owes RuPaul big time for the idea of lip sync battles.

1. Supermodel of the World

RuPaul's hit single "Supermodel" wasn't just a hit in 1992, it also reappeared in 2003 covered by artist Taylor Dayne and featured in "The Lizzie McGuire Movie," and inspired Britney Spears' "Work Bitch" and Iggy Azalea's "Work." The song is RuPaul's most successful to date, and has withstood the test of time by remaining relevant years after it hit the charts.