Top 10 Scariest Movies That I've Seen

Top 10 Scariest Movies That I've Seen

And I have the nightmares to prove it.

55
Top 10 Scariest Movies That I've Seen

Scary movies (mainly psychological thrillers) have always been my favorite movies to watch. I've watched a ton over the years—both good and outright terrible—and I've decided to share which of them I think are the best! It took a lot of time to decide which made the cut, so I hope you enjoy.

1. "Oculus" (2013)

This movie made me question my every move (and it still does). The film is basically about a haunted mirror that warps your perception of reality to the point where you aren’t sure what’s real and what isn’t. And it’s a lot scarier than I just made it sound.

2. "Psycho" (1960)

Norman Bates is, in my opinion, one of the greatest fictional characters ever created. This movie certainly isn’t blood and guts, but it’s riveting and has a fantastic plot twist at the end. And who could forget about the legendary shower scene?

3. "Sinister" (2012)

The first time I watched this movie was at a sleepover with my friend, and I had to be up early to go to work the next day (needless to say, I didn’t sleep much at all). "Sinister" is a movie about an extremely horrifying version of the Boogie Man. He steals children away from their families and makes them do horrendous things to their families that still give me the chills. I highly recommend this movie if you’re looking to get scarred (possibly for life).

4. "Sinister 2" (2015)

The sequel to "Sinister" came out last summer, and I remember thinking that if it wasn’t as good as the first one, I would be really upset. Luckily for me, it was even scarier. The torture scenes in this one were even harder to watch. And this time around, there’s a lot more explanations about occurrences in the first movie.

5. "The Ring" (2002)

I know this came out in 2002, but I’m still afraid that I’m going to get a call that says I’m going to die in seven days. I’m so glad that VHS tapes aren’t really a thing anymore, or I’d live in constant fear. For those that haven’t seen it, you’ve probably seen it spoofed somewhere. Basically, a person watches a tape, and once they watch it, they get a call that says they'll die in seven days.

6. "Insidious" (2010)

"Insidious" was the first scary movie I ever saw. It scared the crap out of me. Because of this movie, I now have the fear that a demon is going to try to inhabit my body while I’m sleeping, which is basically what the movie is about. I’ve watched this movie probably 10 times, and the scene with the demon walking outside the protagonist’s window and into her room is still something that keeps me up at night.

7. "Insidious: Chapter 3" (2015)

The second installment of the "Insidious" series wasn’t very good. The third one, on the other hand, was fantastic. It was a bit off-topic (the original characters weren’t even in the movie), but the real reason I found this movie so scary is because of this shadow-y figure that’s standing in the middle of the road in one scene. On my drive home from the movie theater, I was terrified.

8. "The Shining" (1980)

I’m a sucker for a classic (and for Stephen King). Plus, Jack Nicholson is forever engrained in my mind as a crazy-eyed psycho killer. This book-turned-movie is about an extremely horrendous case of cabin fever. Everyone knows that “all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy," and if you don’t already have a fear of giant mazes or old hotels, you will after you’ve watched this movie.

9. "The Conjuring" (2013)

The first time I saw this movie, I hated it. It’s so cliché and all of it’s been done before. But the second time I saw it, I loved it! This is basically every classic scary story rolled into one film, but in a really well-done way. The sequel is also coming out soon, and I’m really excited and hope it lives up to my expectations!

10. "A Nightmare on Elm Street" (1984)

Every Halloween, all of the best horror movies are on TV, and I end up watching this one (and its remake) about 10 times throughout the month of October. Something about a murderer with a dark past that kills you in your dreams just gets to me. And even if horror isn’t your thing, who wouldn’t want to see a teenage Johnny Depp in his debut roll?