Driving safety is no joke.
Travel

A Letter To The Person Who Crashed Into My Car

I hope you will pay more attention when you are behind the wheel from now on.

87
Alex Claycomb

Driving home from work the night of August 4, 2018, was a typical one. At least it was until you slammed into my car. I was minutes from my home. The light on my side of the intersection had turned green. I was already halfway through the intersection when I saw out of the corner of my right eye you were speeding along toward a red light. I had no line of sight of your side thanks to a building on the corner. I realized that you were probably unable to stop in time. I held my hand on the horn and attempted to accelerate to no avail.

Next thing I get slammed on my passenger side and begin to spin. I finally stop on the other side of the light, turned around almost 180 degrees. My right side airbags had been deployed. I first thought that You had hit me and just left because I could not see out of the right side while I was still in my vehicle. I remember screaming "what the f**k?" out of my window, wondering how this was even possible. I had the right of way, and you seemed not to attempt to stop your car before ramming into mine. After spinning & before I finally was able to stop the vehicle, I mildly tapped another car who was waiting for her light to turn green.

I remember how I was feeling as I was getting out of my car. I was livid beyond belief, & in all honesty, I still am. I called my mother in a panic begging her to get there as soon as possible. I also needed her because she had the only other car in our household. You said you were unable to stop in time. That was blatantly obvious based on the impact of your vehicle slamming into mine.

Your actions, or more accurately, your inactions, have caused significant inconveniences for my parents & me. I have had to get a rental car which I only have for four days, make time to clean out my car & shop for another vehicle. My family was not planning to have to deal with these hassles. I was hoping to be well into my thirties & more financially stable before having to look for another car. I loved my car.

I sincerely hope that when you get behind the wheel from now on, you will be more aware of what is going on around you. Lack of attention when you are driving can have catastrophic consequences for several different people. For me, this accident has only worsened my anxieties of driving. I already tend to get nervous while I am behind the wheel, especially during times of heavy traffic, and it has only gotten worse. Even being in a car while I am not driving is causing anxiety.