To The Ex-Boyfriend I’m Inevitably Going To Run Into This Summer
Self Love

Everything I wish I had the chance to say.

985
Alice Adams

Hiya. How are you? How was the rest of your freshman year after I, you know, broke up with you? I hope it was as fun as mine was, filled with long nights with friends and new adventures. I hope you're doing okay on your own or that you have found someone who loves you as much, if not more then you loved me.

After three years of talking to you every day, all day I'll admit, I missed you. You were everywhere… In the music I listen to, in the pictures on my walls, in my memories on social media, in the little habits, I held onto from home. Learning to exist as just me was hard and definitely something I didn't expect to have to do. I think this was for the best of us.

I think about my parents a lot when I think about you. How they did the long distance thing for all of college and how they made it work. But then I think about how they weren't attached via cell phones. They didn't snapchat each other every 5 minutes. They didn't communicate solely through text, they didn't imitate movie dates over facetime.

I think that was part of the problem for us. The essence of us and what we have shared over all of this time was lost in all of the digital exchange. I'm doing really well. I didn't realize how much I liked being on my own. It has been so good for me, being independent of you.

Not to say being in a relationship was toxic, it was quite the opposite, I just think that dwelling on a person who lived hundreds of miles away wasn't the right thing to be doing at this point in my life. I'll say it, you taught me what love is. You taught me that it's okay to open yourself up to someone and that is something that has changed how I interact with others.

You taught me to appreciate and respect myself and that has done me more good then you could ever imagine. I know I hurt you. I'm so sorry. I really am. But I hope that you take this as a chance to grow and do your own thing like I am. I hope you're looking at the world differently, now that you are your own person.

When you see me this summer, whether it be in line at the grocery store or on the beach, say hi. Please. I don't want to be a stranger. If this was meant to be, I really think we'll find our way back to each other. For now, enjoy yourself and appreciate all of the amazing things going on around you. I would hate to be the reason you missed out. Until then my friend.