An Open Letter To My Beloved Dog In Heaven

We love and miss you every day.

1546
Andrew Padovano

I remember the day that my grandparents brought me to get a puppy as a gift for my birthday. I remember being so excited when I looked into the playpen and saw the cute dogs running around. You were the only one in the group that sat down looked up at us and said woof. That is when my grandmother knew you were the right dog for our family. So we brought home our Cocker Spaniel. It took a while to train you, and although some days were difficult than others, my family treasured every moment. The way you always ran around the house full of happiness as you greeted me when I came home from school or family members when they visited for weekends and holidays always put a smile on my face. You were my best friend and an important part of our family.

Our bond was strong because we watched each other grow. However, during the past few years, I noticed your health beginning to decline, even though you were not that old. I am grateful that we were able to spend time playing, going for walks, taking a trip to the dog park in East Hampton, and celebrating special occasions with our family. You were loved by everyone, including Gracie the cat. The two of you had a strong friendship like the one we had.

Eventually, the day came when you were at your weakest point. It took many trips to the vet and three surgeries, but we still could not help. You were in too much pain, and the sound of you crying kept us awake. My grandmother did not want you to suffer anymore, and neither did I. After you were taken to the vet for euthanasia, we all were sad to lose a good dog and best friend. During Thanksgiving last year, everyone honored you with a prayer and discussed all the good memories that we shared together. When Christmas arrived, our family missed having you with us, and Gracie was less playful after losing her friend, but we promised to strengthen our bond and support each other in the New Year.

I am feeling better and enjoying life to the fullest. Even though you are no longer around, we know you are in a happier place free of discomfort and suffering with the other animals that were part of the family before and after I was born. You are free to play with other pets and fly around Heaven with your angel wings as you look down upon the family that loved you so much.

Every day, I am still working on becoming a better person, and trying to give back to others. I hope you are enjoying yourself up there. I can just imagine the atmosphere is more fresh, amazing, and beautiful than any landscape photograph or painting. I'm wishing you peace and joy as you experience the mysteries and wonders of the afterlife. It is likely my father, grandfather, and great-grandparents, along with other relatives and friends are enjoying your company as my family did. You only deserve to be surrounded by the people who love you. One thing I know for sure is you never changed because as a spirit, you will continue to be the amusing, delightful, energetic dog you were in life.

My family and I wish that you were still here with us. Although you are no long here physically, you will always live in our hearts. Out of all the birthday gifts my grandparents got me, you were the best. Thank you for being there for my family, and showing us the importance of loyalty, compassion, acceptance, enthusiasm, relaxation, value, love, and play. Wherever I travel, you will be there watching over my family, until the day you come to greet me again. I love you Samantha, my best friend, and spirit guide.