Tips to move around Bali
Food Drink

Tips to move around Bali

Getting around Bali is not easy at all. It is one of the smallest islands in Indonesia and lacks good infrastructure

314
Tips to move around Bali

Getting around Bali is not easy at all. It is one of the smallest islands in Indonesia and lacks good infrastructure. 20-kilometer routes can take you more than an hour. In addition, due to the lack of good roads and consistent options for public transport, its chaotic traffic must be added. Driving through Bali is not easy: apart from driving on the opposite side of most Western countries, you will see that there are only four lanes and that there are hardly any traffic regulations.

By motorcycle, one of the best transportation options in Bali

A priori it may be the most convenient option to move around Bali because it gives you the option to move wherever and whenever you want. In addition, the rental price is ridiculous, about € 5 per day approximately and the liter of gasoline costs € 0.50. To rent it is also very easy. You do not have to go to any specific office, they offer it in many informative posts and even in the street. So we could say that it is the best vacation transportation options In Bali, although also the most dangerous.

What documentation do you need?

Also, keep in mind that the Balinese police are corrupt. Although to rent a motorcycle do not ask for the international driving license (just leave a photocopy of the passport is already valid), it is essential to have it. The police will not hesitate to stop you if you see that you are a foreigner. Many do not take it out and they know they can make a cut. As there is no stipulated fine for not carrying this document, they will ask for what they want, normally between € 10 and € 30. If you do not give it to them, they will take your motorcycle to the warehouse.

Private driver, the best option to move around Bali

As we have indicated before, if you do not have much experience with the motorcycle and want to save yourself problems, booking a private driver is one of the best options to move around Bali. This was the option we chose for our trip to Bali.

How do they work?

He picks you up and drops you off at your hotel. The tours usually last up to 10 hours, although there are also half-day tours if you do not want to visit so many things. A price is agreed upon before getting into the car, which is always paid when you go down, and you indicate the places you want to visit. Bali is not very big, but you have to keep in mind that moving around Bali is heavy and slow, so from 10 hours, more than half you will spend in the car.

How to choose the route?

At the time of doing the tour is very important that it is one way, as they say. That is, the route follows an order. If you want to see the whole island, our advice is to divide your stay, at least, in two areas. One in the central part, for example, Ubud, and the other in the southern part like Kuta and its surroundings. That way you will not waste time on long trips. To leave and enter the south of the island there is always a lot of traffic and there you can easily lose 3 or 4 hours.

How much should I pay for a private driver in Bali?

It all depends. It is not the same to go with a street driver than with one who has his own agency, which will cost more. Of course, the street will ask you the same or more than the other, although as you know in Indonesia almost always dribbles.