5 Things To Know Before Going To College

Some basic knowledge as you embark on your next journey in life - college.

275
Jessica LaVigne

College is a time where you live with roommates, study what you’re passionate about, and make memories. Four to five years can pass in an instant, and cherishing each and every moment is something that not all of us think of at the time. Whether it’s good or bad, each experience defines you as a blossoming young adult. Here are a few things that I learned and experienced throughout my last four years as a college student.

1. Don't skip class!

I know it can be tempting now that your mom or dad don’t check in on you in the morning, but DON’T SKIP. You pay for each hour that you are taught in college, so why not make the most of it? Sleeping in may seem nice in the moment, but once you miss a test or important notes, you create unnecessary stress for yourself.

2. College is expensive.

Whether you or your parents are helping pay for tuition, rent, books, or food—it all adds up. If you haven’t saved since you were a child, and you’re not receiving financial help from mom or dad, loans are inevitable. Throughout college, and definitely during high school, it’s smart to apply for as many scholarships as possible. Certain companies give out scholarships to those who are left-handed, the child of a veteran, and MANY more categories you may not even think about. Scholarships are also offered through your community and school, so search hard because this can help a lot when tuition fees come around.

3. Take advantage of free food!

Food is a universal language for happiness and comfort, and almost every event you go to provides this because they know college students LOVE FREE FOOD. Don’t want to make dinner tonight, go to that campus carnival where there’s pizza and popcorn. Throughout my college experience, I got so much free food that I saved a lot of time and money on cooking and grocery trips.

4. Don't over-stress yourself!

From day one, professors tell you their expectations and deadlines for the whole semester. As you put all of these dates together in your calendar, you add campus events, friend outings, and possibly work. It can all add up and make you feel overwhelmed at times, but don’t stress too much. With a little organizing and calendar planning, you can do basically everything that you hope to do throughout the duration of your semester/year. If you feel that you want to be as involved as possible, spread out your hard classes so that you take one or two at a time – in conjunction with two or three of the easy Gen Ed courses. Having the best experience possible is all about time management, and with every semester you will learn what you can handle and if it’s a good idea to go out the night before you have a big exam.

5. Be involved!

The most advantageous thing about college is the amount of events and organizations that one can get involved in, in my opinion. When you’re not studying, or preparing a presentation for next week’s class, have a little fun and go out on a whim. On any college campus, there are numerous opportunities for involvement, whether it’s an academic organization or just a random club that celebrates something you love. These are the places where you will meet friends that will last a lifetime, so take a chance and enjoy the experience while you can.

College is a time for experiences and learning, where you will have fun and possibly make mistakes. Don't forget to cherish every minute because time will pass before you know it, and you'll be a college graduate looking for what's next in your hopeful and exciting future. Be patient, be happy, and don't forget to thank the people who helped you get where you are.