7 Tips for Beginner Writers

Writing is super fun whether you're a professional or not. However, getting into writing may seem hard. You might have a lot of questions. How do you even start? What are some tricks of the trade? Well I've been writing for almost 10 years now and here are some things I've learned and picked up along my writing journey.

Research, research, research.

It doesn't matter what you're writing about, you're going to need research eventually. Whether you're writing a historical fiction where research about the entire time period and culture is needed or whether you're writing a more modern.

Write everything down. I mean everything.

Writing may seem like a daunting task especially if you're aiming for a full novel. You may be wondering how you even start. The answer is simple: write. All you have to do is start writing. You don't have to have a plan (though having one definitely helps), you just have to write. Have a scene in your head? A character? Even a place or a phrase? Whatever it is, right it down.

Brush up on your grammar and rhetoric.

Whether it's through analyzing other's writing or by taking classes it's always a good idea to improve your knowledge on how writing works. You have to understand the parts before you can make the machine work, but don't let your lack of writing knowledge stop you! Your writing doesn't have to be perfect. As long as you're writing, you're practicing, and you'll get better at grammar and rhetoric.

Read a lot.

If you want to improve your writing, practice can only get you so far. Reading the writing of others allows you to view different styles. Take note of the author's rhetoric and how they describe things or explain the plot. It will make you a better writer.

Don’t focus on editing.

Us writers are perfectionists. It bothers us if a line just isn't hitting right. We'll spend hours or even weeks getting a paragraph just right. Do not do this. If you spend all your time trying to get every little word and phrase perfect then your story won't get anywhere! Just sit down and write. Make typos, have horrible grammar. Whatever you do, just get some writing down. You can sort through it later.

Get into a schedule.

You need to write regularly. Find a good hour to sit and do nothing but write. Whether that time is in the dead of night or in the light of morning just make sure that hour is there and available to you. Treat it like work or like a homework assignment and don't slack off. Before you know it, those blank pages won't be so blank anymore.

Don’t give up.

Writing is hard. It may feel like you're not getting anywhere or that you've learned all that you can. That's completely wrong. As you write, you grow. So keep writing!