11 tips to help you survive apartment life

11 Tips To Help You Survive The College Apartment Life

Adjusting to apartment life can be tough, so here are some tips to help you get through your first year of having an apartment.

475
Steven Panicko

Apartment life is something almost all college kids look forward to. You're finally out of the dorms and you get to have your own room and if you're lucky, your own bathroom. But sometimes finding the right apartment and adjusting to life in an apartment can be rough sometimes. So to my readers who are about to spend their first year in an apartment, here are 11 tips that can help you out!

1. Don't bring too many clothes

Just like you don't wanna overpack too many clothes for your dorm room, you don't want to pack too many clothes if you don't need them yet.

2. Be respectful of your roommates' preferences and habits

You all are most likely going to have different schedules, so be courteous if they are trying to study or sleep.

3. Try and get to know your neighbors

You could end up meeting your best friends and may not even know it.

4. Start a cleaning schedule

Set aside a day of the week to clean the whole apartment. Take out the garbage, do laundry, do the dishes, etc.

5. Still utilize a meal plan

This past year I still had a meal plan and it is honestly the best decision I made. There are so many nights I did not feel like cooking for myself, so having a meal plan really helped with that.

6. Don't be afraid to call maintenance, they're there to help you

Just ask.

7. Personalize your apartment

Personalizing your apartment will make you feel a lot more at home.

8. Having a mini-fridge in your room isn't such a bad idea

Personal snack space is so worth it.

9. Take care of your rent early

Don't be that guy.

10. Learn how to cook

You won't regret it.

11. Utilize the facilities your apartment may have

They are there for a reason!

Apartment life can be exciting but also a stressful time, so be sure to use these tips to help you survive your first year in your new apartment!