It's Time For 'The Boondocks' To Come Back

Now Is The Perfect Time For 'The Boondocks' to Return

The world is missing this show's hilarious commentary on culture and society.

38

When it was on the air, "The Boondocks" was hands down the best animated comedy on television. It somehow managed to be hilarious while also acting as a critique of the society we lived in.

I can't quite say the same about the last season, which didn't feature creator Aaron Mcgruder. As a result, the show just came off like it was written by someone who didn't understand what made "The Boondocks" good in the first place.

But some years have passed since that final season aired in 2014, and I think it's time for the show to return to the air.

If you're a fan of the show and have paid attention to the news at any point in the last five years, then you'll know how well the show's commentary and critique aged. Just look at the episode "The Story of Gangstalicious," which satirizes homophobia within the black community and hip-hop.

This episode aired during the early 2000s, when there seemed to be a trend of rappers wearing "feminine" outfits. Andre 3000, Cee-Lo Green, and Cam'ron were among the first to do this. The episode pokes fun at this by having Riley, one of the main characters, wear a dress and purse in order to emulate his favorite rapper.

Over ten years later, this trend is still alive and well.

Rappers such as Lil B and Young Thug helped kept the trend of wearing traditionally feminine outfits alive. Whenever a rapper wears a dress or a skirt, "The Boondocks" is mentioned.

That just speaks to how influential the show is.

Another aspect of the show that gets referenced often is the character Uncle Ruckus, one of my favorite characters on the show. What makes Uncle Ruckus so funny is how ridiculous yet realistic he is.

After the 2016 Presidential election, it seems like a lot of black people have started to follow the tenets of white supremacy just like Uncle Ruckus, who believes he is a white man despite obviously being black. People like Candace Owens or Diamond and Silk are pretty much real-life versions of Uncle Ruckus. They deny racism and bash black people so much that I just laugh at how ridiculous they sound.

Uncle Ruckus is so culturally relevant that his voice actor, Gary Williams, conducted an interview as Uncle Ruckus with the "Breakfast Club" this year. This interview, along with some new comic strips that were released, seemed to indicate a comeback for "The Boondocks."

Sadly, nothing has happened yet, but I'm not going to give up hope. The time is right for the show to come back.