The 3-Step, Dummy-Proof Guide To Budgeting For People Who Hate Budgeting

Don't be intimidated by the big scary "B" word, its actually way simpler than you think.

15
Casey Whoolery-Pratt

I know I can't be the only one who dreads the thought of sitting down and sectioning out my money. But, as a college student, cash is already so hard to come by. So, here are some easy and dummy-proof tricks on how to become a master budgeter, without even trying.

1. Only stress portioning out "spending money". 

First of all, to define "spending money", it is the amount of cash you hope to spend on wanted items, instead of needed. Instead of sectioning out each category, just worry about how much you can afford or wish to use as spending money without digging into your expenses. In reality, you are taking into consideration all the bills you have to pay, but turning it into a much simpler tracker. As long as you don't spend more than what you allotted for "free" money, you are at ease when the rent comes around.

2. Cash System

Using cash makes realizing how much you spend way more realistic and encourages your frugal side to come out. You can easily use this to implement step number one by only having your spending money in cash. Once you are out, you are out, and everything on your card is dedicated to bills. It holds you accountable and helps you realize exactly how and where you are spending money. Having it physically in your hand and being given away is a HUGE game changer.

3. Set Weekly Goals

To also ensure you are stretching your money responsibly, set goals of how much you want to max your spending at each week. This one takes two seconds just to jot down in your planner or phone. This helps to break bad spending habits and motivates you to spend less by having goals of what you spend it on, where you spend it, and how much you spend from a timeline perspective.

I know, only three steps! But, this is a great way to emerge into the big world of budgeting without really budgeting. Before you know it, you will be feeling satisfied and financially stress-free. Happy saving!