What I've Learned So Far

What I've Learned So Far

College can be hard, here's what I've learned so far.

12
What I've Learned So Far
Anne Simone Photography

This semester feels like a mess, I’ve walked out of it feeling like it chewed me up, spit me out, and left me on the ground trying to aimlessly pull myself together. We’re working on a lot of things still— like budgeting and not procrastinating (what are thoseee?) But these are a few lessons I’ve learned, from the year and a half that has made up my experience. Somehow I’m a junior? All of the question marks for that phrase, but this is what I’ve learned so far:

1. In order to really commit to your major you have to commit to the little classes too. This is actually impossible, or at least it feels like it. The classes that you hate, the ones you aren’t good at it and maybe never will be, those ones you have to choose to show up, be present. You have to choose to participate and do your very best in those in order to not go backwards. If you want to get to the end goal, the major, the dream job the core classes we dread are necessary. Sorry sunshine.

2. That being said, the end grade is what counts. Don’t get so lost in each and every grade that you beat yourself up over each one. Berating yourself over each quiz grade or study guide is probably just going to drive you crazy. Yes, yes, yes of course study and achieve but let yourself breathe too.

3. Build your grades up at the beginning of the semester. The little grades, the syllabus quizzes and early papers, do the very best you can. Build a solid foundation so when it comes to finals or the weeks you can barely lift your head from the pillow, you don’t feel the pressure because you prepared. The easy, little grades add up.

4. Get to know your professors. Respect them. They know massive amounts about a lot of things. Use their knowledge and appreciate it.

5. Go on adventures. Take the opportunities that come your way, the trips to trees or to the tops of mountains just to be there. These days have the potential to be the very best of your life, but they are what you make of them. Make the memories that will last you a lifetime.

6. Be friends with people that surprise you. Be friends with people that challenge you, people that make you less abrasive, people that change you. Find people that make you uncomfortable. Listen to everyone; everyone has something to teach you.

7. Change. Grow. Listen. Move. Shake. Be one of the alive ones, the ones that pay attention. Be someone that uses your voice instead of sitting passively.

8. Be honest. Say the hard words, say the words that matter. The big, gigantic words. The ones that change things; even if it makes you uncomfortable, even if it’s tremendously hard.

9. Find your passions. Find the things that make you want to wake up in the morning. Join clubs, join movements. Live your life by these things, whatever they are, and chase them with everything in you.

I wish you all the best for these upcoming weeks and days and moments.