This Is My Go-To, Last Minute Recipe When I Don’t Have Enough Time To Cook A Full Meal

That one semester was so busy, I couldn’t afford to keep eating out.

1146
Aguilar

My junior year of college was something else. My classes were 20 minutes away from my apartment with either an hour or a 10-minute gap between them. Going home was a nice idea but realistically it was a hassle. Even if I made my way home, I really didn't have enough time to prepare and cook a full meal with extra-curricular activities and work during the evenings.

For the first couple of weeks, I tried to balanced my trips around campus and home with to-go meals. On some days, I cooked egg and spam.

Spending at least $10 a day starting adding up and soon my bank account started to look stagnant even with more work hours under my belt. Having eggs and spam multiple days at a time became repulsing. Eventually, I started skipping meals to make up for the time and money but it took a toll on my body. I noticed my hunger would cause me to get easily irritated and soon I witnessed weight loss. What can I do better? How can I fuel my body without sacrificing the things I love doing?

I looked back at a recipe my mom would cook frequently. And I think it's a recipe worth sharing for people who are looking for something easy and tasty. I call it “Jaz's Laidback Quesadilla Recipe," and here's the breakdown for you...

In this recipe, you will need the following ingredients (for one serving):

And here are the directions:
  1. This is gonna sound weird but it's the best way to evenly put olive oil on the flour tortilla: Place a ½ tablespoon of olive oil on a frying pan set to medium heat. Place one whole tortilla on the pan and turn in circles until it is covered. Grab the tortilla and place the oiled side onto the other tortilla. Rub the oil on the other tortilla!
  2. Place one tortilla on the pan with the clean side up, oiled side down. Sprinkle an even layer of shredded cheese on it.
  3. Once the cheese is melted a bit, sprinkle a pinch of the creole seasoning on top.
  4. Place down pieces of lunch meat (usually four to five pieces fit nicely on top) and place other tortilla on top.
  5. With a spatula, carefully flip the now formed quesadilla (there should be brown spots on the top)
  6. Leave on pan for 4 minutes. Plate and serve!

This recipe is really easy to adjust for healthy options. My parents sometimes place thin slices of tomato, avocado, and onions inside once the quesadilla is plated. I'm glad I made the decision to look up quick and easy meals rather than push through my day with snacks. Please be aware that there are other quick and easy meals to cook besides this one. This one is my favorite and cheapest!