Who Do You Think You Are?

Who Do You Think You Are?

Regardless of who you think you are, there are some truths about yourself that you need to know.

7
Who Do You Think You Are?
Who Do You Think You Are?

I used to watch a show called “Who Do You Think You Are”. I am a huge fan of history so I loved watching this show. I found it interesting to see how people reacted to the heritage left to them by generations before.

We have a heritage left from our parents, grandparents, and those who came before us. That, however, doesn’t have to define who we are. Some of us have been left an amazing set footprints to walk in that are easy and simple to follow. There are some who are carrying a last name that carries such greatness that the things expected of them are unattainable and they are left feeling like failures. Others are left with a heritage of shame and dishonor that they spend the majority of their lives trying to overcome.

But regardless of who your parents are/were, regardless of who carried your name before you, there are some simple truths that you need to know about who you are:

1. The same hands that created the universe and holds it all in place knit you together – to be exactly you.

Psalm 139:13 “For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.

He knows the exact number of hairs on your head, the color of your hair, every freckle on your face. He even knew that after having a baby that my straight hair would fall out and grow back curly. And guess what? He thinks you are beautiful!

2. God’s works are wonderful. Since you and I are one of His works then we are wonderful!

Psalm 139:14 “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

God isn't in the junk business. He only makes things that are good - Read Genesis chapter 1.

3. God loves us so much that He gave His Son – His only Son – so that you and I could be in an open and active relationship with Him now and for eternity.

John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Once you have accepted God’s love and salvation through His son, we are promised even more:

4. We are promised a family and an inheritance beyond anything that we can ever imagine.

Galatians 4:7 “So you are no longer a slave, but God’s child; and since you are his child, God has made you also an heir.”

We are adopted into God’s family as one of his own children – a child of the King, so we are royalty!!! As his child we have and inheritance waiting just for us.

5. We are promised security, even when things are not the way we think they should be.

Romans 8:28 “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

We are never, EVER promised that all things in our lives will be good. Sometimes things are really terrible. But what this verse tells me is that even when things are bad – the worst that I can imagine – that if I am faith to Him He will work all of those things for good.

6. We are granted the peace of God himself – The Prince of Peace.

Philippians 4:7 “And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

In the midst of all things – the good, the bad and the ugly – God will fill us with a peace that cannot be understood by those watching, or even by those of experiencing the peace.

God promises His provisions

Philippians 4:19 “And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.

Now, here’s the thing: We are not promised everything that we WANT. What we are promised is that God will meet all of our needs. This may not look like we think it should, but according to His plan and purpose, we will be taken care of.

So, who do I think I am? I am God’s wonderful workmanship created by the Creator. I am a child of the King of Kings. I am heir to the One who owns the cattle on a thousand hills. I am loved by the Great I AM. I am guarded by the Shepherd. I am provided for by the Bread of Life.