Things You Don't Realize You'll Miss When You Move Away To College
Freshman

5 Sacrifices You Didn't Know You Were Making Moving Away To Get Your Degree

Moving to the other side of the state seemed like such a venture, but the longer I experience life, the more I start to think of the life I've traded it for.

740

Readjusting your lifestyle and routine is difficult. You start to focus more on what you're missing out on than what you have and what your goals are. Moving away for college really does give you a serious case of FOMO. And you really don't understand how much you miss out on until it comes.

These five things may seem small, but some days they feel monumental:

1. New family members.  

Because the drive home isn't cheap, I missed the birth of my nephew. The closer it got I was like, "Well, it's OK! I'll see him in a few months." But now that he is here, I can't help but feel guilty for not being there. It can be hard to remember that even though you aren't there, your family's life goes on and they have to continue living their lives just as you do.

2. Birthdays. 

The older I get the less I care about my birthday, but my family celebrates birthdays with family-only dinners. Watching it over FaceTime isn't the same as being hugged by a family member you don't get to see often. During our birthdays we pick our favorite food and we get to have that for dinner.

I still got to celebrate it with family and have my grandpa cook for me (which I was so grateful for because he's a #bomb cook), but it just isn't the same as having my animals, couch, and the familiarity of home.

3. Holidays. 

For some people, this may not really be that monumental. However, breaking the traditions you grew up knowing is really hard. I stay on this side of the mountains for Thanksgiving due to convenience, but as my family grows at home, the harder it is for all of us to get together, especially when there's traveling.

4. Family. 

When I moved back to Bellingham, I was about a week into getting settled in my temporary home when I saw a Honda Odyssey driving down the road and realized it wasn't my sisters. I was already emotional, but that took the cake. This takes a while to get over, you start to understand that you are on your own and that's terrifying, but also amazing.

5. Friends. 

This is tough to explain. I didn't really have friends, maybe one or two, however, for many, I was only their friend when it was convenient or doing their high school homework. Even though I've realized they aren't legit friends and I don't hang out with them even when I am home, it's difficult to know that the familiarity of having them around disappears.

Although these are large sacrifices, you can't forget that you had your reasons for moving where you did. Whether that be for a good education, different environment, or even just because you wanted to, it's worth it in the end. No matter how painful it can sometimes be.