What I Wish I Could've Told My Younger Self

Dear younger me, here are some things you should know

4
Julie Bentley

Now that I'm 18 and totally have everything in the entire world figured out (not) there are some things I wish I could've told my younger self. Things I wish I could've told my younger self to go for, avoid, don't say that, say this, etc. I often think about the same thing thinking "if only I knew that in middle school." Don't we all.

I wish I could've told myself that colored eyeshadow and copious amounts of liquid eyeliner was a bad idea. I'm fully convinced that's why people were so mean to me in middle school, its because I looked like a member of Kiss.

I wish I could've told myself to not date that one guy or that other guy (you know who, younger self) and not let them convince you that you were below them, that they were always below you and they knew it but never wanted you to find out.

I wish I could've told myself that studying and actually doing your homework is important for a successful future. Every single bit counts, whether its middle school or high school. Trying your hardest is important.

I wish I could've reminded myself that treating others the way you want to be treated is a solid rule and that I should always stand by it. Being kind to others even when they aren't kind to you is better than being remembered as the girl who was always mean to me.

Don't let people tell you who you're going to be and what you need to do with yourself. No one knows that but you and don't let anyone convince you otherwise. Being your own person for the rest of your life is the most important thing a person can withhold.

I wish I could've told myself that my middle part made me look like a boiled egg and that I should use some heat protectant spray on my hair, because if I don't my hair is going to smell like a grill.

I wish I could've told myself (and my parents) that trying to learn how to play the flute was a waste of time. Definitely wasn't my calling.

I wish I could've told myself to chill with the crazy Halloween costumes and maybe choose something a little more flattering.

I wish I could've told myself to not get discouraged and give up on hobbies that I love just because other people thought it was weird, your snail shell collection was dope and you know it.

I wish I could've told myself to walk to the beat of my own drum and not follow in other people's footsteps. The real you will always be better than the people you're trying to imitate.

I wish I could've told myself (so many times) that everything is going to be okay, and I'm sure my future self is telling my right now self the same thing because its true. Everything is going to be okay, and I wasn't able to tell my younger self these things because they happened for a reason, and my life is beautiful and pure and full of happiness and I wouldn't have it any other way.