10 Things I Learned From Phoebe Buffay

10 Things I Learned From Phoebe Buffay

Just some FRIENDly reminders about life.

41
10 Things I Learned From Phoebe Buffay

If you’re like me, you love NBC’s Friends. A lot. You might even say it’s one of the best shows of all time. Recently, I found myself needing some smiles and laughter, so I turned on Friends. It was exactly what I needed, and watching it over again has showed me the little life lessons that I missed the first time.

1. Sports should be fun.

I think we all get pretty competitive when it comes to playing sports and games with our families, especially around the holidays. We want to win, but for those of us who maybe aren’t as coordinated (hi) we also need to learn how to lose. Phoebe has fun with life, even if she isn’t the best at every game.

2. Sometimes love isn't perfect.

Sometimes love isn’t like something out of a Hallmark card. Sometimes there are no perfect words to describe it, and we have to do the best we can. Phoebe is okay with not having the perfect words to say, as long as she is expressing herself, and that makes her words even more pure.

3. You have to accept where you're at in life.

I don’t need to tell you that life is crazy. It gets hard. There are days where the future looks bleak and it doesn’t look like there’s anyone to turn to. Even though Phoebe has those days, she knows they will pass, and she accepts that she has to deal with it.

4. Confidence is key.

Society tells us that we always need to be changing our appearance and that we need to dress better or smell better or look better. Having a real shred of self-worth is almost unnatural. Why shouldn’t we feel good when we know we look great? Phoebe knows that she’s beautiful and she doesn’t hide it.

5. Friends will get you through the hard times.

In almost any circumstance, having a friend is a blessing. We need our friends to take care of us and help us when we’re hurting. Phoebe knows that her friends will be there for her even in her silliest times of trouble, and she always has someone to call on.

6. You have to be up front sometimes.

If you don’t stand up for yourself, no one else will. Being nice is important but so is sticking up for yourself and your opinions in an honest way. Why would you go somewhere that you didn’t want to go to be miserable? Phoebe’s blunt statements save her that unhappiness.

7. Kindness is so, so important.

Standing up for yourself is good. Removing toxic people from your life is good. But hating other human beings solves nothing. There is no reason to harbor those feelings against someone, and Phoebe reminds her friends that there is enough negativity in the universe without adding someone else’s hatred.

8. Know what you want.

Knowing your own mind is key. Loving other people is important but you can’t forget to love yourself, too.

9. Live life to the fullest.

Who cares about that coffee stain on the rug? You ripped your jeans--so what? It’s so hard to let the little things go but it’s crucial to being truly happy. Phoebe understands that life isn’t going to be picture perfect 24/7.

10. Believe in true love.

Whether or not it seems like it, there’s a person out there for everyone. It’s hard to be alone but your soulmate is coming as quickly as they can. You will find your lobster, and you will be happy. Phoebe says that lobsters mate for life, and you can even see the old lobsters wandering around the tank holding claws.