8 Things You Notice About Hoboken AFTER 21 Days In Quarantine

It's definitely kind of easy to go through life mostly concerned with your own problems and daily hassles, but this quarantine has really shown how the community of Hoboken can come together in a crisis.

14

Introduction:

I have been quarantined in my home town of Hoboken for about three weeks now. Here are some things I've noticed while cooped up in my apartment. Hopefully I'll be able to enjoy all some of these aspects of my city once quarantine is over.

1. A Lot Of People In Hoboken Really Like To Run

I guess before I never really noticed how many people are always running around Hoboken. Maybe more people are going on runs right now because they have nothing else to do, and ironically, I feel like I've never seen the waterfront more crowded.

2. There Are So Many Dogs

I have to admit, I'm a cat person, and although I appreciate how cute dogs are, I rarely get super excited about them. However, on my various walks and runs during quarantine I've noticed a multitude of adorable dogs out for walks.

3. The Waterfront Is Truly Breathtaking

A lot of my friends think it is really cool that I live in Hoboken, and they love the fact that at the waterfront, they can see the entire New York City skyline. I've always known it was impressive, but I guess I've gotten a little numb to the beauty. The other day during one of my walks I was sitting on the little beach by the Hudson River, staring at the sunlight glint off the skyscrapers across the water, and it fully hit me how lucky I am to live where I do.

4. People Are Big Fans Of Eggs

I love eggs, especially since I live in a dorm usually and rarely get to cook them. Despite the quarantine, part of me was excited to be home and actually be able to make some banging omelets. Unfortunately, I think the entire city of Hoboken has had the same idea, and its actually been really hard to get my hands on eggs at the supermarket. They've limited the amount you can buy, and my parents have started ordering from a local farm.

5. It's Really Easy To Not Go Very Far

The other day I took a drive, and I realized I had not been out of my corner of town in weeks. Usually, I'm running all over, going back and forth between New Brunswick, home and the city on various adventures. Now that I'm forced to stay mostly in my apartment, I've realized how easy it is, in theory, to not move very much.

6. People Come Together

It's definitely kind of easy to go through life mostly concerned with your own problems and daily hassles, but this quarantine has really shown how the community of Hoboken can come together in a crisis. At seven every night everyone shouts out of their windows to honor the medical workers that have been risking their safety. Today, the city organized a car to drive "the Easter Bunny" through town.

7. People Love To Focus On The Negative

I've never experienced seeing most of the people I know in a crisis, and although this virus has been a great tragedy and it is important to stay informed, I have been honestly shocked by people's tendencies to gravitate toward negativity and stress. I am a person who gets stressed out easily, so during tough times I try my best to focus on whatever silver linings I can find, and try to engage in healthy behaviors that support my mental health. A lot of people in my town seem very focused on all the bad in a way that stresses them out even further.

8. I Love My City

Like I said before, I've always been grateful to live in Hoboken. But being here, unable to go out and enjoy the beautiful weather for most of my days, is like torture. The trees are blooming and gorgeous, the sun is shining and warm. I want to be outside, enjoying my lovely city. After this is all over, I'm probably going to be so grateful that I'll start camping in the park.