These Hands Definitely Don't Haze

These Hands Definitely Don't Haze

In no situation are you meant to hurt or degrade the ones you love.

12
These Hands Definitely Don't Haze

Hazing is kind of like the big, giant elephant in the room in many Greek life situations; everyone knows it is there, but not enough people are addressing it. And even though in today’s world, where it is more common to hear about measures being taken to prevent hazing, it doesn’t mean it is gone entirely. The sad truth is that while the amount of sororities and fraternities who haze is decreasing due to recent efforts, it is still happening, and not just within Greek organizations; hazing happens all too frequently in athletic organizations as well. So what do we do to stop it?

In recent times, individuals and organizations have taken a stand against hazing. In fact, there’s a whole week dedicated to stopping it. Slogans like “These hands don’t haze” are more common, and encourage individuals to make the choice not to haze. And while these things are great, they aren’t necessarily enough on their own. Creating a world where hazing is erased entirely takes more than just a week, a slogan, or one individual making the conscious choice to stop it. It takes entire organizations choosing to stop hazing, and encouraging other organizations to do the same. It takes entire groups of people deciding to change the negative stereotypes to actually make a worthwhile impact and change.

I am so proud to be a part of an organization that consciously makes the decision to change this stereotype daily. I am a part of a group of women who encourage each other every day to be the best versions of ourselves that we can be. I am a part of something bigger than myself, and for that I am forever thankful. However, I’m also thankful to be part of a group of women who never made me “prove” myself in order to be a part of this group. I was never asked, or expected, to do anything in order to earn my spot within my sorority. And I think this is the most important part.

Hazing is usually a method used to create respect between the soon to be newest members of an organization, and those who have been there the longest. However, to me, this doesn't create respect within an organization at all. I respect my sorority and my sisters (more than I could ever explain) for showing me the respect I deserved as a new member prior to initiation, and for never once making me feel inferior or degraded along the way. I respect my sorority, and my sisters for continuing to honor this once new members are officially initiated. Most importantly, I love and respect my sisters because we share a mutual love for our great organization, and all agree without question to never tarnish the name of our organization by associating ourselves with hazing. I have chosen to stand against hazing because I have an entire sorority who stands with me.

So, here is my piece of advice for all of the people who may choose to rush a Greek organization, for those high school athletes considering the idea of playing in college, for the current collegiate athletes who feel like they have to be someone they don’t like, and maybe just for the person who has ever felt pressured into doing something they didn’t want to — for the sake of fitting in.

If someone makes you do something you don’t want to, or feel uncomfortable with, for the sake of fitting in or earning your spot in the group … it is not a group you want to be a part of in the first place. People who love you will love you for you. They will love you for not being willing to compromise your integrity. They will love you for your ability to think as an individual. They will lift you up, and encourage you. They will never ask you to be someone you don’t want to be, or behave a way you don’t want to behave. And, if they do, walk away because they don’t deserve you in the first place.