LGBTQ+ Orgaization At Seton Hall University
Life Stages

Yes, There Is An LGBTQ+ Club On Seton Hall's Campus

It's called Allies, and you should join!

105

When a freshman comes onto campus, there's a drive and interest for them to explore all the organizations that Seton Hall has to offer. Whether that is related to their major, or something that perks their curiosity, odds are they will find it at the Hall. But what about someone looking for an LGBTQ+ club at a Catholic University? Is there something for them? An LGBTQ+ club is commonly looked for, but many think that one does not exist at all on campus. Well, that's a misconception because there is indeed an LGBTQ+ org called Allies.

Allies is Seton Hall's only LGBTQ+ club with the stated goal to welcome everyone from that community, its allies, and any student interested in getting involved with the org. The history of Allies is complicated but what matters is that, even on a Catholic campus overseen by the Archdiocese of Newark, a safe space exists for those who identify as LGBTQ+.

Identifying as a member of the LGBTQ+ community can be challenging for many people, not only given our political climate but the fact that Seton Hall University is Catholic affiliated. Historically and presently, the church has been against members of the LGBTQ+ community, and has openly advocated for their discrimination. People of the LGBTQ+ community have even been ostracized from their social groups based on intolerant and hateful beliefs, making living your college life as an openly LGBTQ+ member difficult for some students in fear of any bias that may be shown to them. This is why the club is dedicated to the safety of its members.

The club works directly under the school in comparison to the rest of the orgs on campus which are recognized by the Student Government Association (SGA). Allies meets once a week and their meetings cover a wide range of topics, from the US History of the LGBTQ+ community to movie nights, the club has it all. The club, therefore, emphasized its role as a space where its members are free to be who they are without any fear of judgment or harassment.

The organization is open too collaborations with other orgs on campus too. Last year, for instance, the club collaborated with a business fraternity to host an LGBTQ+ Entrepreneur night, where LGBTQ+ business leaders from the surrounding community were invited to speak on campus to talk about their projects. The event was a success, with many students in attendance showing their support and hearing how they can make a lasting impact in their local communities.

While Allies is an LGBTQ+ org, as mentioned previously, the club's doors are open to all. You want to find out more about LGBTQ+ topics in cinema, have a friend that identifies as LGBTQ+ and want to support them, or even just interest in joining something new for your collegiate career, Allies would be a good choice. With the range of topics covered by the org as well as its commitment to ensuring all members safety and well-being, Allies is an org you certainly would not want to miss.