If You Feel Lost in Life, You Just Haven't Found Your True Purpose Yet

Find the thing that sparks your passion, and do it.

11
Ian Schneider

The world in which we live is best characterized as a stressful, competitive one. Each day we are presented with an opportunity to grow, a challenge to overcome, a lesson to learn. Whether you go to school, work or both, the collective responsibilities of daily life may be just too overwhelming sometimes, giving way too even more stress, dissatisfaction, and doubt. You may sometimes feel lost and start to question whether or not the things that you're currently doing are worth it.

It appears that many people are just simply going through the motions, adhering to routines and habits that most people follow. For example, we are taught from a young age that a sure way to success and a good life is to go to school, graduate college and get a good job. I do recognize the value of a college education and the importance of a good job, since both create opportunities that can lead to a fulfilling life, especially in terms of status and income. On the other hand, it presents success and happiness as products of a particular formula, in which schooling and a good job equals success and success equals happiness. We know that this is not always the case, because a prestigious job and a high income mean nothing without purpose. You can have a great job with high pay and still be unhappy and unfulfilled. A lot of people live their lives with no clear purpose; they simply do what society has assured will enable them to provide for themselves. Each person has a purpose, yet everyone's purpose presents itself in different ways at different times. For some, their purpose is obvious, while for others, it is not so clear. A person gains a lot of clarity and satisfaction when she discovers what she is meant to do as opposed to what she is told she should do. If you feel lost at any point about your purpose, it is imperative to embark on a journey of self-discovery, and the only way you can do that is to explore your passions and interests, try new things and step out of your comfort zone. A lot of the things that please us in life like watching TV or going out every other night actually allow people to abandon their purpose, making it much easier for them to instead accept what everyone around them says is the practical thing to do.

If you're genuinely unhappy with what you do or where you are in your life, you have the power to change it. Once you decide to find your purpose and act on it, you will be able to bring about a lot of positive transformation into your life. When you love what you do, you'll be able to offer a lot more insight and provide tremendous value to yourself and to others.