The Sun Is Also A Star

The Sun Is Also A Star

A look at the book versus the movie!

72
The Sun Is Also A Star
Instagram

I'm a sucker for a good rom-com movie. Anyone who knows me knows that. Recently, I finished reading "The Sun Is Also A Star," a contemporary YA novel by the author, Nicola Yoon. She is also the mastermind behind "Everything, Everything" and its 2017 trip to the silver screen. And "The Sun Is Also A Star" just became her most recent work adapted into a movie. Here's a look at how the movie compares to the events of the book! But beware, there may be spoilers ahead!

1. The timeline.

In the movie, the main character Natasha and her family are set to be deported within 24 hours. When the movie begins, they are told they have to be on a plane by some time the following day. However, in the book, they are to be pushed out that very night at 10 p.m.

2. It's all in the details.

We all know the book usually has more behind the scenes than what the movie can offer in two-and-a-half hours. However, I wasn't expecting for moviemakers to basically cut out keys parts of the characters' lives. In the book, both Natasha's and Daniel's friends and ex-relationships are talked about. In the movie, they seem to be avoided for the sake of time or confusion or whatever reason it may be.

3. The reason the family must leave.

In the movie, the family's deportation is solely addressed after the fact. And the true reason is never divulged. While the family was technically deported because they were undocumented, the authorities only looked into their family after the father was charged with a DUI.

4. Daniel's college of not-so-choice.

In the novel, Daniel is set to be interviewed by a representative from Dartmouth, one of the best colleges in the States. However, the filmmakers changed it to Yale in the feature film, perhaps because Yale is better-known than Dartmouth today.

5. The undertone of the story.

The novel is written in multiple perspectives, including the two main characters, some of their family members, and the histories behind other side characters. While I usually prefer multi-perspective novels to stick to the major characters, I enjoyed how Yoon wrote this one because there was a serious undertone that our choices matter, even to people we see on the street who don't even know us.

I enjoyed the movie, however, it only made $5.4 million during its opening weekend at the box office. So, you may need to decide if it's worth buying a ticket or just waiting for Redbox.