The Steps To Finishing An Overwhelming To-Do List

31

That never ending to-do list seems to appear far too often, and with it comes far too much stress. The sense of accomplishment you feel upon completing it is incomparable, but unfortunately, the steps to get there are not so easy. More time to be panicked and overwhelmed? No thank you.

1. You look at your to-do list and realize there is too much for you to finish (or even start).

We’ve all experienced that stomach dropping moment when you recognize the tasks you need to complete are not humanly possible to finish in the amount of time you have to do them. Let the stress begin.

2. So you decide to take a quick break instead...

You can’t possibly work until you’ve calmed down a bit, so what harm could a five minute nap do, right? Yeah, it might throw you a little further behind, but it’s definitely necessary.

3. And then you notice that your break has gone on far longer than it should have.

What have I done? How did that five minutes turn into two hours?

4. You begin to panic again.

Why did I do that? Can I have the last two hours back? No. I'd better spend the next 20 minutes panicking instead of getting some work done... then panic about spending that time panicking.

5. Suddenly, you're energized and motivated.

You have no idea where this motivation came from, but you’re happy to take it. You may never sleep again, but you’re going to get this done.

6. You begin to attack your to-do list. You've got this.

Stress produces great adrenaline, and things seem to be getting done much faster than expected.

7. You just accomplished two things. That deserves another break, right?

This method usually leads to a five-minute work to five-hour break ratio.

8. No, it doesn't. Why did you do that? Focus. Start your to do list back up.

You have to get this done.

9. OK, the panic is setting in now. You are absolutely positive you can't do this.

You’re not going to finish anything you need to, you’re going to let everyone counting on you down, and you’re going to fail. It’s not a question. There’s actually no way you can succeed.

10. The panic turns into anger or sadness.

This is so unfair. You don’t deserve to have this many things to do. You may snap on the first person who you come across, or you may start crying. It’s kind of an exciting game to see which will happen first.

11. You find some way to calm yourself down.

You take five minutes to collect yourself and regain your composure. Why were you so worried? You’ve got this.

12. Back to the to-do list. You're going to get through it this time.

You’re on a roll, and there’s no stopping you now. Task after task is being accomplished.

13. Wait, are you really done?

By some miracle, you have gotten through your seemingly impossible to do list. It’s almost unbelievable.

14. You've survived.